When is the best time to eat before working out?

Quit whining. Drink bourbon. Climb more.

When is the best time to eat before working out?

Post by Guest »

I like to eat a big breakfast - eggs, turkey bacon, toast, and fruit (yeah I'm a pig). I'll be swimming in the mornings as much as possible now and I don't want to have to get up any earlier than I already have to in order to cook. Looks like I'll be eating on the run. This morning I ate a Luna bar on the way to the Y. When is the best time to eat something like this before swimming? I can eat anywhere from 90 minutes to 0 minutes prior.

I'll make the eggs now. :D
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chester

Post by chester »

from reading the other post and what my trainer said, usually it's better to eat after you workout rather than before.
but, i'm working out later in the day, so don't know if this would apply to you.
[size=84]Women are like tea bags. They don't know how strong they are until they get into hot water.[/size]

Post by Guest »

No way could I skip breakfast entirely! I wake up STARVING!!
Artsay

Post by Artsay »

From what I've read, it's better to not eat before training only if you're trying to lose weight...which I don't think you are trying to do. I always eat a little something about 20 minutes before I work out because I just feel like I'll need the extra fuel.

Here's a helpful article I found. I was concerned about the whole eating, swimming, and cramps thing but found out that it's really just a myth: http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/ask_doctor/ ... cise.shtml

Post by Guest »

Thanks, Artsay. Nah, I'm not trying to lose weight - just get in shape for climbing. I can't go for more than 2 or 3 hours (max!) without eating at any rate.
dingo

Post by dingo »

I've heard a lot of mixed things. I know people who love to eat a huge meal right before going on a 20 mile run! And it doesn't bother them in the slightest, but then there are people who can't eat anything two or three hours before training or they'll yak. I think it is just what works best for you.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthen's me.
sita

Post by sita »

If I'm working out first thing in the morning (5:30am) then I usually work out on an empty stomach. I've found that if I work out any other time and I don't eat I get light headed toward the end of my workout. I've always heard that it's good to eat something before like and apple or protein bar. But hell, I always do what my body wants not what some "expert" tells me. If you're hungry dammit, then eat. That's my 2-cents" :)
Yasmeen

Post by Yasmeen »

I eat cereal before biking in the morning and it doesn't affect me. Like Artsay said, it helps fuel the workout. I don't know about swimming though, cuz I usually swim ~4 hours after my previous meal.
"I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory." --Paul
---
(Emails > PMs)
sparky

Post by sparky »

The only time i eat before i work out is in the morning and then it is only something lite so i at least have something in my stomach (also working out for me is running) I was always told that it was better for my body to eat well and drink within the hour after i have ran. I usually drink a funky lemon gatorade sweet tea mix and some sort of carb like a pasta salad or granola or really whatever. Any ways it helps your body recover quicker for the next day and your not really as sore. It has something to do with how your body stores the food. I always feel better when i do this and it allows me to train harder. I wish i remembered all the why's behind this but it has just become a habbit for me.
" climb like hell and die" dipsi

Post by Guest »

There was no doubt that I was going to eat before swimming, but I was mostly wondering about the digestion process and when it is best to be active in that process. That's why I was asking how soon to eat before (90 to 0 minutes prior?). So after 2 mornings swimming, eating a bitch bar about 20 minutes before being in the pool swimming seems to be working okay. This morning I scarfed one of my beloved Egg McMuffin's within 30 minutes of getting out of the pool. I think that will be my post workout protein source. Yum!

It's nice to be on the road to recovery with this bamn dack of mine. Finally. I hope to be climbing in a month. Life doesn't suck afterall.