Muir Valley

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
Bruisebrother

Post by Bruisebrother »

The new leash law is the effect of several incidents over the past month. I believe this rule along with the others stated, those posted at the parking lot kiosk and on the website are quite modest. They will help make Muir Valley the best managed, private climbing available for Free in the country!
allah

Post by allah »

Bruisebrother wrote:The new leash law is the effect of several incidents over the past month. I believe this rule along with the others stated, those posted at the parking lot kiosk and on the website are quite modest. They will help make Muir Valley the best managed, private climbing available for Free in the country!
I'm having a hard time finding anything about the "leash law" could someone tell me where that is posted?
young'n climber

Post by young'n climber »

are you drunk
Alan Evil is a whiney fucking bitch.
_____

The quest for certainty blocks the search for meaning. Uncertainty is the very condition to impel man to unfold his powers.
t bone

Post by t bone »

Allah, Yes there is a leash rule at Muir. I had a discussion with Liz on Sunday about it. I have a dog and he is leashed when i am at muir even when i am putting up new routes and no one is around. Its a small price to pay for the generosity the webers have given to the climbers. There is an old thread somewhere in which he commented on the leash rule. I am sure Rick will post something as soon as he gets back to town.
Spragwa

Post by Spragwa »

Good to know. I apologize to Rick and Liz for not abiding this law in the past. It was short-sighted of me not to notice in his prior post. Thanks for all that you've done Rick and Liz!
Jesus only knows that she tries too hard. She's only trying to keep the sky from falling.

-Everlast
dipsi

Post by dipsi »

Emmylou will wear a leash, I promise. I'm soooo excited! :D
What I love about running is you can meditate while running. It's a peaceful place.

Sister Mary Elizabeth Lloyd, Runs marathons to raise money and awareness about children orphaned by AIDS
weber

Post by weber »

Just returned from a long weekend in the Red and found this thread. Guess we should clarify a few things.

First off, Liz and I have met many nice dogs in the Valley and a few that weren't so well-behaved. Like many things in life, sometimes a few bad eggs can spoil it for everyone. We would not ban dogs from the crags in Muir unless things really got out of hand. So, to keep everyone happy and to encourage pets to behave, they should be on leashes. We know... Many of the dogs we see at the climbs do fine without leashes, but a rule like this needs to be applied fairly.

Here is another related concern. And it is important!

A fact of life -- Dogs and climbers gotta pee. Please do so out from under ledges and roofs!! If rain can't get to the ground to freshen it up, things can start smellin' nasty. Been to Roadside lately? We are seeing dozens of climbers in the Great Wall area lately and don't want to see this beautiful area turned into a cess pool. So until we can get some restrooms built in the spring, please be courteous with yourself and your pets and take your nature walks beyond the drip line of the cliffs. A big thanks

On to clarify another point that popped up in this thread... Cathy Holthouser is the very nice lady who owns a little cabin at the bottom of the road coming in from 715. She also owns the second log cabin, which she is turning into a climbers' hostel. Although a few climbers have already stayed there, it is not open yet while she remodels and furnishes it. Her cabins are on a little 2-acre plot in the middle of the 400 acres of Muir Valley. Cathy and her guests have easement rights to our road. If you wish to stay there you can call her at 606-668-7855 and read info on her website: www.smokeyforkbandb.com

Our road down to her cabin is open and is passable to all types of vehicles -- not just 4x4s. HOWEVER, it has no guardrails, and the dropoffs are 100 feet vertical -- honest. So, if you come down to stay there, please do not drive off the road! And remember, the uphill travelling vehicle has right of way.

There is a very rough 4x4 road that continues on past Cathy's cabin to the Great Wall. It is NOT open and when completed will be open on a "invitation only" basis for persons not able to negotiate the steep hiking trails and for maintenance and emergency vehicles. This road is currently under construction and not passable at this time even with 4x4s. The construction equipment was moved on site yesterday and blocks all access. So, please don't take your vehicle past Cathy's or you may block road construction work.

In the spring, we will have further info on this road.

As I said, Cathy is a very nice lady who loves climbers. She owns 21 outdoor cats and lovingly cares for them. She also cares for a magnificent rooster, Jake, who escaped the world of fighting cocks and showed up on her doorstep one day. Jake literally rules the roost down there. So, please drive slowly and watch out for furry and feathered critters. And if you have a cat-munching dawg, this is a good place to leash up.

Call Cathy or me FIRST before coming down from the 715 entrance for further info and permission.

Yesterday, I had a great climbing day with Eric Anderson and his sweet little well-behaved bulldog. She is the poster child for "good dogs."

Thanks for your understanding on the leash rule... which, by the way, does not apply to the Manimal.
:D

Rick Weber
We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand. - Randy Pausch
None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm. - Henry David Thoreau
allah

Post by allah »

For the Record that wasnt me that posted the last thing on here, it was probably a friend of mine at the climbing gym here in columbus. But I would like to say that I will not be climbing at Muir because of the least law. My dog hates leashes and isnt as friendly with a leash. everyone that knows my dog knows that she is the most behaved at just about every crag. If I dont have Maliki with me then I would think about checking the area out, as long as maliki is alive and well she will be going to the red and climbing with me every weekend, which means that I will not be checking out Muir for some time.

PS I wasnt happy with what heard happened at muir. Its not cool getting up in some small ladys face threatening them, im sure you felt like a big man then huh?
Huggybone

Post by Huggybone »

What?
"Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water."
squeezindlemmon

Post by squeezindlemmon »

Eh? :?
Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our mind. ~Bob Marley