Closed Areas

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
Tourist

Closed Areas

Post by Tourist »

Sorry don't be alarmed by the subject. We/they aren't closing any areas. :)

As you can tell from my handle I've never been to Red River. I was wondering what the skinny is on what's closed. Current info that is.

thx
young'n climber

Post by young'n climber »

anything thing past the motherlode in the southern region is recommend to stay out of, if im correct.
Alan Evil is a whiney fucking bitch.
_____

The quest for certainty blocks the search for meaning. Uncertainty is the very condition to impel man to unfold his powers.
ynot

Post by ynot »

Chimney rock and Pocket wall and any route with a fence in front of it like at Military.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
tomdarch

Post by tomdarch »

You may have heard of (and seen photos of) Pocket Wall - that's closed. (The land was transfered to the State Park, which prohibits climbing)

The "Murray Property" crags are also closed. They are:
Solar Collector, Gold Coast, the Dark Side, Bob Marley, Drive-By, Oil Crack, the Arena
(you may hear about "the In-Between area - it's part of the Arena and, thus, closed)

The MP crags are closed while the Red River Gorge Climbers' Coalition works things out in court with the Oil company that has been trying to 'lock out' the climbers.

Finally, there are a few route-by-route closures to protect potential archeological resources.

Take a look at the Coalition's Closures page for more details:

http://www.rrgcc.org/index.php?category=Closures
Bacon is meat candy.
Spragwa

Post by Spragwa »

Check the online guide on here too. All of the closures aside from the MP purchase are marked as such in the guide.
Jesus only knows that she tries too hard. She's only trying to keep the sky from falling.

-Everlast
Tourist

Post by Tourist »

Is there still lots to do without all the MP routes? Seems like the best stuff is in that area? Sorry I'm going off the top of my head without looking in the guide.
captain static

Post by captain static »

There are literally hundreds of routes to do w/o the MP. Tell us what type of climbing you are looking for and maybee you can get some suggestions.
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
Tourist

Post by Tourist »

sweet

Anything realy. Mostly sport up to mid 5.12 and trad up to 5.10. As long as Fuzzy Undercling is available it all make the trip worth while.

see you soon
young'n climber

Post by young'n climber »

Are you being sarcastic?
Alan Evil is a whiney fucking bitch.
_____

The quest for certainty blocks the search for meaning. Uncertainty is the very condition to impel man to unfold his powers.
strum

Post by strum »

hell no, fuzzy undercling rox my private areas!
4679 posts sine my last visit... I've been skiing too much