Where to go for some bouldering?

Having problems finding a crag or a route?
gymrat

Where to go for some bouldering?

Post by gymrat »

Where's a good place to go for some varied bouldering? We'll be down in 2 weeks and we're looking for a good boulder field.

And what's the "crash pad" ethic? Are they allowed, or should we leave them at home?
Wes

Post by Wes »

Not the red.

Really, there just isn't a very good boulder field. Best bet is to keep driving to GA, AL, or NC.

If you are at the red, and just want to get in a fix, then coffee shop, Junk Yard, and Sky Bridge are the best. Pads are cool.

Wes
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda
hoss

Post by hoss »

bring your crash pads but I wouldn't hope on finding any quality bouldering at the red. Keep driving like Wes said. You might want to check out the Lilly Boulders in Tenn, but for some quality southern slopers you need to hit up horse pens. If you really have a hardon for bouldering at the Red there is a guide book, but it sucks. You can get it at the Shell station off the Slade exit.
Today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go fuck himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.
spuzo

Post by spuzo »

what's the "crash pad" ethic?
Really now...I've never even heard of this.

If you want good bouldering dont stop at the Red. It is a World Class SPORT climbing destination. Its not really known for its bouldering.
I hear that Boone is good. Check out G'mother mountain The lost cove and Long wall. The Junk Yard is good too
"I enjoyed a Guinness after I got back home from Palm Sunday Mass." - Captain Static

"Listen, you heard what I said. Do you want me to donate or not charlie. Suck it up and procreate." - Andrew
aaron

Post by aaron »

long wall and junk yard.
bring a rack and some draws. bring the crashpad to sleep on though.
gymrat

Post by gymrat »

Shoulda mentiond that we are climbing too (Trad and sport), and we want to get some bouldering in too. Bouldering isn't our main focus this trip.
The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

If trad and sport are your thing then come to the red...if your into bouldering keep driving...one good problem that I can think of is "when doves cry" its at pistol rigde on the upper deck ( cool roof traverse )
If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains...You're lucky enough...
Legion

Post by Legion »

gymrat be warned - When Doves Cry is an offwidth roof
aaron

Post by aaron »

yeah but it starts as fists. :wink:

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:48 pm.