Horseshoe Canyon Ranch

Other Crags, Aid Climbing, Bouldering, etc...
Jeff

Horseshoe Canyon Ranch

Post by Jeff »

in Arkansas.
Anyone been?
I've already got my first hit of spring fever and thinking about this place.
Maybe March or April.
Crankmas

Post by Crankmas »

Never been, the photos in Shull's book of this place and other areas in Ark look incredible, hope you can make it.
jabbathehut

Post by jabbathehut »

never climbed there but I've climbed "next door."
The rock is really good, not exactly the calibur of Jackson Falls, but it would kick the Reds ass.
Cardio Sucks! Drink BEER!!!
t bone

Post by t bone »

Arkansas has great climbing, sams throne, cave creek and horseshoe canyon ranch. rock is alot like the red. Jeff, I have guide book you can borrow. i climbed there in march andweather was great.
Power2U

Post by Power2U »

Crankmas wrote:Never been, the photos in Shull's book of this place and other areas in Ark look incredible, hope you can make it.
The photos do look awesome. There are about 5 different 12a's pictured in his book that look killer. I bet that Arkansas climbing gets a little more traffic this year b/c of the book and the recent article in Climbing or R&I, I can't remember which one.
Lest we all forget... climbing is a mostly meaningless pursuit that we do for fun.
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

been a dozen times, to the Ranch and Schmicks next door. Between the two, you have at least 300 routes to choose from. Schmick doesn't have a guidebook, but he does offer a map at his door.

Whole Hog Wall is arguably the best wall of 12's in the US....way ahead of military for sure.

The Ranch..definietly has some stellar lines, but also some contrived, very short bolted lines. Again, they are catering to the lowest common denominator.

Overall, it is definitely worth that drive...
we have climbed there with snow on the ground, chasing the sun.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
jabbathehut

Post by jabbathehut »

Whole Hog Wall dose have a "stellar" 12b that Piggy could never Flash!
The rest of the routes on that wall are awsome too... except that 12c by the dark streak out right... its way over rated.
Cardio Sucks! Drink BEER!!!
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

lol..the one I warmed up on in my approach shoes?

dude, I was "on" that day, and never did get to spray about that flash! where were all the 5.11 climbers so I could look like a climbing god? oh yeah, you were belaying me....
Crankmas

Post by Crankmas »

any guesstimation on the time it would be to drive from Lexington to Horseshoe
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

st louis to horseshoe is a bit about 4.5 hours....I have never driven from st louis to lexington..I am guessing you will have a haul...