The Gallery Fence

Discussions full of RAGE!
:-)

Re: The Gallery Fence

Post by :-) »

You may have missed the 10 fold increase in climbers, but this ain't PMRP circa 2004.

If you don't build a trail people want to stay on, the whole thing becomes a dirt trial. If you don't build a toilet, the whole place becomes a toilet. If you don't keep the impact limited to a small area, the whole place shows the impact.

I like nature when I climb outside. And since I also sometimes climb in popular areas like PMRP and Muir, I realize someone's got to manage the impact.
ynp1

Post by ynp1 »

Ok. But why NOT build a fence that will LAST! The one now is a joke. If it was done well I would not have posted about it. I still would have not liked it, but I would not have said anything.

Thanks Nick! See you in 2022. I hope to have ski lifts built to the cliff bases, to lessen the ground impact...
I don't have haters, I have fans in denial.
nik

Post by nik »

ynp1 wrote:I could have removed it by hand in about 10 minutes... that would have fixed it! I will next time I am there, but I am sure the elements will take care of it before I get there again...

Also thanks Doctor, I was wondering what that was on my lip... or 4th option... I could say something, that I would guess A LOT of other climbers are thinking, but just don’t want to say it because all the KOOL kids will rip on them...

Ya’ll really think this was a good idea?!? If so, what sad hands the Red is in...
I've found that it often feels good to say things like this, but they are rarely helpful in advancing debates. If you have an alternative land management plan, or a way to help reduce impact at extremely well-traveled crags, let's hear it. In lieu of a well-developed alternative, I'm gonna go ahead and side with the Access Fund and the coalition, and all of the people who have thought long and hard about the long-term impact of all the users that crowded sport crags draw.
ynp1

Post by ynp1 »

Nik, the access fund thought the fence was a good idea??? Well like I have said from the beginning... I do not see how a poorly built fence is going to help anything. It is causing more impact and will not last long.

You can side with the access fund and the RRGCC, but organization are often wrong... but I guess you just follow what the US government says, right?
DrRockso

Post by DrRockso »

My guess is you've never put a single day of work into improving anything at RRG, probably part of why no one takes anything you say seriously.
ynp1

Post by ynp1 »

Doctor... I helped build the original bridge to solar collector back in the day with Dr. Bob... you don’t have a clue what you are talking about. All you know is that it is historically cool to rip on me, here on rrc.com. But that’s cool. I like it, and I speak for the majority.
ynp1

Post by ynp1 »

No body that has replied, has addressed the issue I brought up. Why build a shitty fence??
:-)

Post by :-) »

Fence looked perfectly fine to me. But if you got mad fence building skills, why not email the coalition and offer a day or two of your time? I'm sure Rockso would do it but he already spends all his free days replacing mank.
ynp1

Post by ynp1 »

Thanks for finally addressing the issue I brought up. The fence is shit. Non-pressure treated wood. 1 1/2” screws. Posts anchored in dirt. Rails drilled to a tree. Scabbed rail.

There are the mistakes. Very elementary mistakes. I am sure the intentions were good, but execution was shit.
ynp1

Post by ynp1 »

The Doc is a bolt replacer??? makes senses why he is so full of himself...