8/26-27 Accident

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
OMP

8/26-27 Accident

Post by OMP »

Anyone have info on a fall last weekend?
Heard it was at Roadside and a belay issue. 80' and someone is in UK Med recovering.
Always looking at safety and would love details if anyone knows the info.
climb2core

Re: 8/26-27 Accident

Post by climb2core »

From the guy that fell:

" Hey all! I'm the climber who took the fall yesterday morning. Some facial fractures and bruising but spine, neck, and brain ok! Big thank you to all those who assisted in getting me to the U.K. Hospital as fast as they did. My fall was between 50-60' not from anchors! I was in between some big moves as my belayer let out slack as I was moving above my last bolt when I had a split second unplanned fall just kinda popped off. She wasn't prepared to break my fall and got severe rope burn on her hands trying to arrest my fall and slowed me down more than enough to have a soft ground impact. This is aroutr I have climbed atleast twice before and is well within my capability (top out around 5.11b outside). Just a freak accident but I don't place any blame on my belayer as well as we were doing everything right safely that we could. Thanks again to everyone who assisted in getting me to the hospital for cat scans and treatment!"

Sounds like 100% belay error. Click ups are great for novice belayers and probably would have mitigated this accident.
DrRockso

Re: 8/26-27 Accident

Post by DrRockso »

Belayer error on ATC, belayer had brake strand out of brake position to feed slack as fall happened. The error was compounded by the fact that the climber was 195lbs and the belayer was 115lbs.