Partner& some practical info - 20 october - 22 november

Need a partner?
José

Partner& some practical info - 20 october - 22 november

Post by José »

I'm a newby flying from across the ocean for my first trip to the Red River Gorge :)
I'll be landing in Chicago and drive down with a rental car (after a little sleep-over in Lafayette, airbnb, on the way).

It would be great to receive some tips from you guys! Some questions that I have:
- Where to meet people? It sounds like Miguels pizza is the best place to camp when you are traveling alone like me? Looking to climb some 12c/d - 13a/b.
- Where to get the guidebook? Or should I go for the online app?
- Groceries and especially gas (Anny change on camping gas? or white spirit?) for the stove, what is the best place to go to? I don't think there is anything nearby Miguels is there? So stop on the way in a big town I guess is the best option?

Anny info is highly appreciated and I'm looking forward to meet the climbers in the Red River Gorge!

Greetings from Utrecht (The Netherlands)
José
EricDorsey

Re: Partner& some practical info - 20 october - 22 november

Post by EricDorsey »

Miguel's is the best place to meet up with people and you will have no trouble finding partners that time of year. You could also try posting on here a week before your arrival. Guidebook I would say buy online before your arrival if you want to look through it or Miguel's gear shop will have copies for sale when you arrive. You would also probably be fine without a guidebook by using the online guidebook here and meeting up/sharing with other people around Miguels.

The closest spot to get groceries is Krogers in Stanton, KY about a 20 minute drive from Miguel's but you will pass it on the way in. Not sure of the best place to get white gas though... probably a bigger city like Winchester or Lexington?
José

Post by José »

That sounds perfect :)
And is there any proper wifi around? I'm a freelancer and I will need to send some data files every few couple of days.
I like to be more sociable instead of playing around with the laptop ;) But work needs to be done :shock:

Thanks for your reply!
milspecmark

Post by milspecmark »

Miguels has wifi
nik

Post by nik »

miguel's has wifi, but it's been really slow at times this year, especially when it's busy. i sometimes do work down at the red and the rockhouse is usually a better bet for consistent wifi.
vertical1

Post by vertical1 »

milspecmark wrote:Miguels has wifi
Miguel's internet will be useless for you. The best places around for wifi would be the Rockhouse, the coffee shop at Daniel Boone Trading Post (1 mile from Miguel's) or the Art Factory Coffee Shop in Beattyville (about 20 miles)
milspecmark

Post by milspecmark »

good to know, I have never attempted to use wifi at Miguels but I know the Rockhouse has good wifi. About 4 miles down the road from Miguels. Daniel BOone Trading post is closer for sure
DrRockso

Post by DrRockso »

Skybridge station usually has pretty consistent wifi, it's a 15 minute drive from Miguel's. I would stop at a Walmart somewhere for white gas.
José

Post by José »

Sounds good :) Can't wait to start climbing in the RRG :)
milspecmark

Post by milspecmark »

At the grade you are climbing, you are going to love the red.