Life Insurance for Climbers

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
Josephine

Life Insurance for Climbers

Post by Josephine »

We're looking to do the right thing and purchase life insurance before I give birth in a few months. I've contacted the American Alpine Club to ask for a quote. Is there any other climber-friendly places I should get quotes for life insurance from?
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
Rx2Climb

Re: Life Insurance for Climbers

Post by Rx2Climb »

I would just get life insurance from a typical provider. They won't ask if you climb. Read the small print and make sure that climbing is not in the policy. You will be golden. If you tell the company you climb, they will probably try to charge you more. Also always check your gear and double check your knot and belayer! ; )
Drugs are Cool!
jay2718

Post by jay2718 »

I went through the nurse visit and interview for a policy when I was about 43 or so. They did ask about high risk sports, such as sky diving and climbing in their interview. I answered "yes" to climbing, and it moved me from the "preferred" category to the "regular" category for the premium. My reasoning in disclosing it was that I did not want a way for the Ins. Co. to get out of paying if I did die in a climbing accident. Long story short, I did not buy any insurance, but I do not have kids. However, depending on the premium, you could self insure, if you can afford to set aside a few thousand every year. After 5 years, you would have enough for a short term emergency fund for the child, or you. The only catch, that insurance avoids, is probate proceedings. But if you put your assets in a trust, you can get around that. Anyway, lots to think about. My Father's dad passed away when he was 8, and life insurance was so helpful to him he became an insurance salesperson because of it. He always said it was there to help people. The other side of it is that it is relatively rare to die climbing or in middle age theses days, so could you put the premium money to work in a better way?
Flipper

Post by Flipper »

buy a gun it will protect you from ted cruz and hillary clinton and meth heads at Miller Fork- its sexy, its dependable and it likes you.. you can even denote a special hat to wear when you clean it- like a gun bath hat sorta
Ottice Webb

Post by Ottice Webb »

It helps keep the bobcats away at Choco too...
pkananen

Post by pkananen »

My experience is that life insurance companies will ask about climbing. They asked me about what kind of climbing, if I use ropes and helmets, etc.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I literally just went through the process of buying some additional life insurance and, yes, they will likely ask if you’re a rock climber, SCUBA diver or private pilot. I said “yes” to being a climber and had to complete an additional generic supplement that asked various questions about my climbing (frequency, experience, type of equipment, training, etc.) They also had me complete a mountaineering supplement because they don’t understand the difference between it and technical rock climbing. In it, I noted that I don’t climb anything at high altitude nor do I typically climb on ice or snow.

If spite of being a climber and 50+ years old, I still received the preferred rate from Prudential Life. For what it’s worth, I used SelectQuote as my broker.
Rx2Climb

Post by Rx2Climb »

I guess I got lucky. My Life Insurance company did not ask. SSssshhhh!
Drugs are Cool!
Josephine

Post by Josephine »

thanks for all the suggestions. I'm still waiting for the quote from the AAC - I'll also try prudential life. I agree that I don't want a way out for the insurance companies if something would happen (hopefully not!).
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Below is the contact information for the agent I used at SelectQuote to get the preferred rate through Prudential. He did a great job of shepherding it through the underwriters.

Brian Bechtel
SelectQuote Insurance Services
Phone: 1-888-807-3971
Fax: 1-415-932-7949
bbechtel@selectquote.com
http://www.selectquote.com/brian.bechtel

Good luck!