Best Place to Get Cams Reslung

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
Ascentionist

Best Place to Get Cams Reslung

Post by Ascentionist »

I started climbing in 1994. Some of my cams are that old. I am cheap. I don't want to replace my entire rack outright. I intend to buy a single set of cams as replacement, but I want to take my best cams and get them reslung as my doubles set.

Anyone have first or secondhand experience getting cams reslung?

Suggested places to look?

I've looked into Yates and Mountain Tools. One over the other, or anyone else doing it?

In related news, I have re-corded all of my hexes and am very happy with the results. And for anyone who wants to chastise me for being cheap, I promise you that I'm not new to the idea of sketchy gear. There was that one time JB pulled out an old rope. He saw one end had the word "NO" written in black sharpie. He couldn't remember why so we didn't lead on that end.
There is no TEAM in I
Ascentionist

Re: Best Place to Get Cams Reslung

Post by Ascentionist »

And in this same vein: other than Black Diamond Camalots, what are the best cams for the money on the market today? I don't want the cheapest, but I do want quality cams.

I'm a little out of touch. Please be gentle.
There is no TEAM in I
caribe

Post by caribe »

At BD 0.50 and bigger I am BD.
At sizes below I go with Metolius Master Cams
Don't forget ballnutz
KD

Post by KD »

Mtn Tools has worked for me before but it's been awhile. They did good work back then.
rjackson

Post by rjackson »

I'm BD all the way. From C3s to 6. I also just picked up a set of BD offsets and think they are going to be a great addition to the arsenal. As for resligning, I'd start with the original manufacturer?
Pick myself up, stop lookin' back.
Grand Funk Railroad
TradMike

Post by TradMike »

I used Mtn Tools with good results. The dyneema (spectra) and nylon blend seems like a good blend. I do like how compact and slim profile everything is now. Seems like it is easier to select gear, place and clip versus an all nylon sling since the spectra is stiffer. Nylon last longer than spectra though but flops around more. I have not seen any wear in my slings so maybe the blend is doing the trick.
TradMike

Post by TradMike »

No need to get your cams re-slung. The Regular Route on Half Dome is gone.
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

Agreed, better to sharpen up the hand drill instead... the Robbins Traverse is now 3 pitches long
TradMike

Post by TradMike »

http://www.redriverclimbing.com/viewtop ... =half+dome

I called it. Only 10 year off.
TradMike wrote:As far as near misses go, the Regular NW Face route on Half Dome was very interesting. As the beast cools down at night the rocks start to fall. I predict the entire upper portion of the route will fall off within a few years. Throughout early evening on the pitch 6 bivy I heard many rocks whiz by. Some were big some were small. You knew it was big if you heard it hit below. The sound is indescribable unless you have heard it for yourself. A big rock falling from 1000ft above you and passing at terminal velocity (~300 mph). At first it sound like a faint buzzing sound then it starts sounding like a bullet as it nears and it's very loud as it passes you. Probably some sort of shock wave, sound blast, as it passes is the best way to describe it. It was rough to fall asleep that night until everything cooled down sufficiently. Others have the same stories that have climbed it recently.