Good area for beginner top roping?

Having problems finding a crag or a route?
acrosteve

Good area for beginner top roping?

Post by acrosteve »

Hello

I am planning a trip this weekend with my brother in law and our two 10 year old boys and wondered if I could get some suggestions for a good spot for some short - 20-30', "easy" - 5.0 or lower and good quick access to the top.

We are likely camping in the Grey's arch area

Thanks
clif

Re: Good area for beginner top roping?

Post by clif »

I think there's some wall in the Miller fork that has what your looking for, practice [correction: the nursery] wall? maybe a couple in muir, guide wall? use the search feature on this site. also, for better or worse, there seems to be a effort to direct people to this website for visitor information:

http://www.heartofthekentuckyriver.com/

though I don't think they are prepared to offer guidance on routes, maybe a snack while you think about it?

just tried the 'advanced' search here with 'toprope' being the only criteria and neither of those walls came up in the results...
training is for people who care, i have a job.
MurphMan

Post by MurphMan »

So 5.0 or lower is pretty much no longer climbing. If you're looking for some fun scrambling, I'd recommend checking out Indian Staircase and Cloudsplitter. Link them together and you have a pretty solid half-day hike with some great views and fun scrambles. I'd also check out Courthouse Rock, although the scramble up that is a bit tougher with fairly dire consequences if you slip. It's definitely doable without a rope (I've never used one), but I've seen people top roping after a leader soloed or trad climbed it.

As for actual climbing, I think Practice Wall has quite a few routes that can be set up on top rope. Don't quote me on that though. Otherwise most of the Red is sport climbing.
Rx2Climb

Post by Rx2Climb »

Practice Wall is your best bet...most routes are short and easier.
http://www.redriverclimbing.com/RRCGuid ... all&id=135
Drugs are Cool!
DrRockso

Post by DrRockso »

Top rope routes at practice wall are right where the approach trail meets the cliff. To access the top ledge walk left and then right following the cliff. 3 or 4 sets of anchors up there.
whatahutch

Post by whatahutch »

I sent you a message, acrosteve. Enjoy the climbing and be safe.
"Come to send, not condescend" - Eddie Vedder
Josephine

Post by Josephine »

The Red is not a good top rope area. New River Gorge offers many top ropes. The only area in the Red that offers short easy TR is practice wall; however, there's no "5.0 or lower." I would recommend indian staircase in that national forrest for scrambling.
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
acrosteve

Post by acrosteve »

Thanks guys - I have been out of touch for a couple of days, but I am starting to gather things up and sort of finalize my plans.

I seem to be unable to send a private message - I can read the ones I receive, but cannot compose or reply.

Though I have not been to the gorge in over 15 yrs, I do remember that spots like I am looking for might be hard to find just hiking around a few trails without a plan. So thanks for the info.

Patrick, thanks for the info and offer - sounds like a possibility, but I am also considering Muir Valley and won't have time for both.
So, the Miller Fork area is a separate area - off of 11 a few miles south of Muir?

I am looking for something mostly for the boys, as I am packing too many lbs to be much of a climber now.

Thanks for the info - Practice Wall seems like a good possibility
acrosteve

Post by acrosteve »

Thanks for the tips. We had a great time on the Front Porch and Practice Wall. All of us where able to climb 5.4 even with regular hiking boots.

Definitely will be back.