ROADSIDE IS NOT OPEN - IT IS CLOSED

Posts here will show on front page

Moderator: terrizzi

ynp1

Re: ROADSIDE IS NOT OPEN - IT IS CLOSED

Post by ynp1 »

Rick W is that you??? I like your new avitar's name... Very hip!
I don't have haters, I have fans in denial.
cramacam

Post by cramacam »

Grant & John,
You guys are very gracious to continue the dialogue and work even consider to reopen Roadside on any basis. Regardless of the outcome I have many great memories of Roadside and have had conversations and time there that will forever leave an impression on my life. The internet is a blind place or so lots of people think it is. Grant, I think I've told you in person but regardless thank you for what you guys found and did for the community while the crag was open to the public. I would love for all the "nice and gracious climbers" out there to not be such dicks about this, but unfortunately, I know you guys have had negative interactions even face to face with patrons of the climbing area. This is not a begging or barking to reopen the crag post by any means, its your property to do as you please. I would love to one day take my kids there, show them such a beautiful area, and tell them stories about it that will make them roll their eyes. I'd love to send the routes that I one hung. (Who wouldn't?) If that never happens, the climbs will live on through our memories. Thank you for your vision. Hopefully more people in the climbing community can appreciate what you gave us before we screwed it up and give you guys the love you deserve.
DuppyC

Post by DuppyC »

Haha...first time I've been to this site in 2yrs and nothing has changed.

When I started climbing, the push was for climber ownership of the crags, usually under the phrase of "If you own, they can't close it," but, that seems to have changed over the years to "if you own it, go ahead and close it."
"No one has to do something he doesn't want to do for the rest of his life. But then again, if that's what you end up doing, by all means convince yourself that you had to do it; you'll have lots of company." HST
Cocoapuffs1000

Post by Cocoapuffs1000 »

Let's just remember that, as a group, our treatment of Roadside was deplorable. On private land, you are not entitled to jack shit. That's the fucking rule. You are a guest, period. Many people fundamentally do not understand this, and if closing crags is the only way to beat it into their heads then so be it.

That said, the lack of communication on the part of the land owners is a bit frustrating. They have no obligation to tell the community their intentions, but it would be the polite thing to do. It should not take an asshole ripping down signs to get a response...
Meadows

Post by Meadows »

DuppyC wrote: When I started climbing, the push was for climber ownership of the crags, usually under the phrase of "If you own, they can't close it," but, that seems to have changed over the years to "if you own it, go ahead and close it."
Actually, the statement is, "If we own it ...." ;-) This implies a community ownership (directed by a non-profit organization), and indeed there is a push for it. Roadside is not part of that kind of ownership.
bentley

Post by bentley »

"Like"
Climbing is not free. Support your local climbing organization. Labor and money precious resources!
clif

Post by clif »

sorry to drag up this old thread but the 'graining fork' website was password protected and i wasn't sure if the old guiding access link had changed?

i've been trying to get in shape for an upcoming week long visit and was contemplating hiring a guide to get access to Roadside just to gauge my fitness by some old standards. is Clifton Gifford still out there and guiding at Roadside, or anyone else have the keys to the kingdom?
training is for people who care, i have a job.
DrRockso

Post by DrRockso »

I would contact Clifton directly, as far as I know they guide there still but you would have to ask him to make sure.
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

Just a note that the Go Away sign is missing once again. It would be helpful for either the landowners or a representative of the climbers coalition or Access Fund to clarify the current access situation at Roadside before the rabid hordes and locusts descend for the spring mating season.
KD

Post by KD »

Do you mean...IT'S OPEN FOR CLIMBING AGAIN!! THAT IS SOOO AWESOME! :)