Drone Filming - Yey? Ney?

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
deamicl

Drone Filming - Yey? Ney?

Post by deamicl »

Hello everyone,

I built a filming quadcopter/drone over the winter for the purpose of filming climbers where ever climbing takes me but the Red is my home crag and I would absolutely love to get big sweeping shots of places like the madness cave and purgatory but I do have some concerns. The quadcopter does produce a relatively loud wasp-like noise in an environment best appreciated when quiet and serene. I personally don't enjoy even having a loud group near me when I'm climbing which is why I'm curious to hear people's feedback.

My question is: How do people feel about having a filming drone around them even if used safely and responsibly? Is it a nuisance? Should the tech be left at home or should the beauty of these rock climbs and the people who climb them be recorded and shared with the climbing community?

The potential of this kind of technology is unbelievable and my intention is to film and share what i capture with everyone but I do NOT want to be a bother. To give you an example of what this thing is capable of, here are a couple of uncut videos I took.

You'll get an idea of the noise this thing makes but to take into consideration that the GoPro that is mounted on the quadcopter is out of its case and is extremely close to the rotors.

Make sure to watch in 1080p and I recommend muting the video and playing some music in the background.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Anyways...

My own take on this is to ask the climbers present at the crag for consent before taking off and creating a distraction and upsetting people while they're climbing. We all know how sensitive people can be at the red...

What do you guys think? Yey? Ney? who cares?
jordancolburn

Re: Drone Filming - Yey? Ney?

Post by jordancolburn »

My thought would be to ask everyone around you first and use it minimally. A test flight and then a few send attempts on a special is cool, but flying it up for every climber on every route all day would get annoying quick. Good luck with the shots!
deamicl

Post by deamicl »

Of course. to be clear the drone can only fly between 10 and 15 minutes at a time as the battery technology isn't quite there yet in terms of capacity and I would never just go up to random climbers and start filming them.
Mark W

Post by Mark W »

returntosender

Post by returntosender »

Only if the drone is attached to a dog sleeping in a hammock.
deamicl

Post by deamicl »

returntosender wrote:Only if the drone is attached to a dog sleeping in a hammock.
At least I don't go rappelling.
returntosender

Post by returntosender »

Do you make your mother clean the anchors then?
deamicl

Post by deamicl »

I'm surprised you even know what an anchor is. Congrats!
stix

Post by stix »

I would NOT be ok with that at the cliff while I was there.
"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation." Thoreau
kato

Post by kato »

You should build it up to LOOK like a giant wasp. Or maybe a giant hairy wolf spider. That would be youtube GOLD.
No chalkbag since 1995.