ROADSIDE IS NOT OPEN - IT IS CLOSED

Posts here will show on front page

Moderator: terrizzi

clif

Re: ROADSIDE IS NOT OPEN - IT IS CLOSED

Post by clif »

I thought this would be a good time to remember that we would be greeted as liberators in Iraq.
training is for people who care, i have a job.
tradotto

Post by tradotto »

clif wrote:I thought this would be a good time to remember that we would be greeted as liberators in Iraq.
Meadows

Post by Meadows »

John and Grant –

Sorry to hear about the situation. You may have heard about the recent vandalism we’ve experienced to the actual rock climbs, and whether that person is part of our community or not, it’s clear that overall, we detest the actions and work to resolve it.

This is the first we are hearing about your future plans of Roadside. I have personally stopped people approaching the trail with the obvious intent to climb, only to find that they had special permission from one of you to climb there. While I have no problem with you granting permission to friends, family, etc., I cannot find it worth the community time to police the crag and determine who has permission and who does not. Besides, people will lie. If you want such assistance and can guarantee it worth our effort, I urge you to come up with a system of proof for those with permission. The Webers have an excellent system for those who are granted valley floor access and it’s simply a tag on the car that the Webers send to the users each year. They also monitor the cars parked on the floor. Just as gyms tag those who’ve completed their lead climbing course, maybe you can provide something similar. Additionally, I believe the Webers as well as Bob grant certain access to those who volunteer so maybe that is another avenue you can consider.
Last edited by Meadows on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KD

Post by KD »

OMG! They closed Iraq too?
Eric

Post by Eric »

if Roadside is closed, how is anyone going to climb Science Friction?
"But what is happiness except the simple harmony between a man and the life he leads?" – Lord Byron
KD

Post by KD »

Eric wrote:if Roadside is closed, how is anyone going to climb Science Friction?
They're not goddammit! They're gonna get their asses spray painted with the word "open" on their asshole because they didn't respect the authoritiiiii!
Rx2Climb

Post by Rx2Climb »

Drugs are Cool!
YoMomma

Post by YoMomma »

First things first, they (unfortunately) own the property. With that said, I think they are handling most things in a way that most don't agree with.

In my opinion the two owners are two of the most annoying, and quite frankly, ignorant people in the red. Quit making all these dam excuses to keep your property close but then say "if it weren't for _____ the area would be open". We are tired of hearing. Yes you're property contained world class climbs at many different grades. But we got news for you, there are other world freakin class crags and routes in the red. Your precious roadside isn't the center of the universe.

If you TRULY wanted this to continue to be a crag that is privately owned then you could have. One of the best privately owned crags IN THE WORLD is down the street and I'm sure Rick and Liz would have been more than willing to give you some advice on how to keep your crag open. My point? Quit solely blaming the climbing when there are clearly two parties at fault here. Yes I am bitter because I have experienced the quality of routes that roadside possessed, but I still wholeheartedly believe that this are could be open to climbing if the two moronic owners wanted it to be.

Lastly, if you haven't noticed climbers are pretty willing and nice people. Once again I will use muir valley as an example. Look at the amount of work volunteers do and contribute each year. It's amazing. There is no doubt that if you two owners asked for help that so many people would volunteer time to do any type of maintenance that tou would have asked. I know I would have set an entire weekend aside to help roadside of it meant it would stay open. But right now I don't see how that would help because you two owners have proven to me (in my opinion) that you two don't want the area open.

But one last time. These two (unfortunately) own the land and everything that they decide is well within their right. People entering there private property is still not cool and I realize this and I understand the problems that lead to issues. But at the same time there are certain steps that could and can be taken to keep roadside open (read: if torrent falls can open after people pooping in the middle of dr. Bobs property then roadside can open if property owners wanted it to be)

Rant. Over!!!
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

Wow, that was very insightful and will undoubtedly help the situation move forward. Thanks for taking the time to register a new username and share your 'thoughts' with everyone :roll:
YoMomma

Post by YoMomma »

dustonian wrote:Wow, that was very insightful and will undoubtedly help the situation move forward. Thanks for taking the time to register a new username and share your 'thoughts' with everyone :roll:

It wasn't that big of a deal. Really 8)