News re Muir Valley

Posts here will show on front page

Moderator: terrizzi

jordancolburn

Re: News re Muir Valley

Post by jordancolburn »

I will never understand the general rudeness bordering on hate that some people seem to have for Muir Valley. I have always enjoyed climbing there and the couple of times I had the pleasure of meeting Rick and Liz were really great days (as an EE I really appreciated Rick showing me his radio equipment)!

After seeing some great areas in the red and elsewhere closed due to issues having little to do with climbing or it's impact, I'm excited to see that they are trying to ensure access into the future. I will donate, and I hope that enough others do to reach the goal.
clif

Post by clif »

hi-

i am not interested in revisiting the issues but offer one small example here and now only to provide some explanation of a view you say you don't understand.

one of the Q&A's in Mrs. Webers link refers to what will happen if funding is not met. I assume there are probably contigency plans with corporate backed entities to insure this won't happen, but the answers leaves open the possibility of Muir no longer being availalbe to climbing and that the only conclusion they (the Weber's) can make is that there is not as much interest in climbing as they thought. I believe this is a misleading conclusion in that the qualification they have placed upon Muir Valley's future is also a factor. That is why I asked about the 'Operations Manual' - so that I could be informed about exactly what it is I woul be supporting.
training is for people who care, i have a job.
ynp1

Post by ynp1 »

I agree with clif, that was the answer I thought was quit odd, even kind of passive aggressive in nature.
I don't have haters, I have fans in denial.
potts

Post by potts »

Last edited by potts on Sun May 11, 2014 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
potts

Post by potts »

Last edited by potts on Sun May 11, 2014 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ted

Post by ted »

blah,blah,blah. Hate it or love it, it doesnt matter. What's true is, it's a great place to climb. However the question does deserve an answer. What happens if the funding isnt there or cant be sustained?
Liz_Weber

Post by Liz_Weber »

ted wrote:blah,blah,blah. Hate it or love it, it doesnt matter. What's true is, it's a great place to climb. However the question does deserve an answer. What happens if the funding isnt there or cant be sustained?
Good questions, Ted. Previously answered here: http://www.muirvalley.com/answers.html

Other questions may be directed to muirvalley@gmail.com

Liz
ray
Site Admin

Post by ray »

potts wrote:
ray wrote:The operating costs are too high to sustain. Couldn't $200K be put to use better elsewhere where the ongoing maintenance isn't so costly? Can FOMV rip out all of the costly stuff to make it like the PMRP or Miller Fork?
With nothing more than a bar chart showing 2014/2015 projections to go on, the pecuniary geniuses on this forum (many of whose personal finances are probably abysmal train wrecks) have instantly analyzed the Muir Valley strategic plan (of which they have no knowledge) and have declared it unworkable. Typical of the members of the Muir Haters Clique (MHC), who hang out here. Instead of a simple “thanks”, they insult the Webbers with the clear message that they don’t know what they’re doing.

WTF?

Just compare what those two old people have accomplished with Muir over the past ten years to what the MHC has done with its Lee County sandboxes.
Sure, those "two old people" have done a ton with their land. I'm just suggesting that much of it really isn't necessary to create a stellar climbing area. PMRP/Lode/Choco Factory are some of the most popular climbing areas in the world and they don't have the amenities that Muir does. Sometimes the road becomes unpassable but climbers work it out. They park elsewhere and hike in.

Muir, in its current state, is a lot of overkill for a few great cliffs. With such a huge amount of climbing elsewhere, especially with the recent Miller Fork purchase, it just seems like a costly affair not worth the effort.
potts

Post by potts »

Last edited by potts on Sun May 11, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weber

Post by weber »

:-)
We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand. - Randy Pausch
None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm. - Henry David Thoreau