News re Muir Valley

Posts here will show on front page

Moderator: terrizzi

Cromper

Re: News re Muir Valley

Post by Cromper »

ynp1 wrote:Truthfully though, $100,000 annual cost is crazy. It doesn't sound like it was designed to be very sustainable, with out a lot of funding. Maybe the FOMV will figure out how to get that cost down. Good Luck to all!
True dat.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Ken84il wrote:Steve is right on the money. How much do we spend on gear, tents, sleeping bags, patagonia down sweaters and blah blah blah.. if you can't afford 10 bucks a day or 20 even y did you get into such an expensive hobby. Don't get me wrong, i have climbed at muir without a donation on occasion.. but i am happy to help with parking, fundraising, trail day, etc to make up for those weekends where money is tight. So many ppl simply, drive in from where ever, park, climb, then leave.. only to return the following day to do the same.. Drop a days beer money in the box and have a couple glasses of water-
I completely agree, but years of data provided by the webers have proved that the community isn't willing to pony up on a consistent basis.
Living the dream
Savage

Post by Savage »

ynp1 wrote:No, you did not Ken! I will never go with out my beer! You are just being unreasonable...

Truthfully though, $100,000 annual cost is crazy. It doesn't sound like it was designed to be very sustainable, with out a lot of funding. Maybe the FOMV will figure out how to get that cost down. Good Luck to all!

I think it is important to reiterate that while the $200k goes toward 2014 and 2015 operational costs, it is not exclusively for that. Some money is going toward the land transfer, as well as set up a stewardship fund. So presumeably, they are setting up a fund to help pay for stuff in the future. I dont have the actually estimated yearly operation costs, but it is not $100k/yr.
climb2core

Post by climb2core »

Expenses HAVE historically averaged at $100k per yer.

http://friendsofmuirvalley.dreamhosters.com/financials/

The question becomes if FoMV will be able to reduce those in the future.
Savage

Post by Savage »

climb2core wrote:Expenses HAVE historically averaged at $100k per yer.

http://friendsofmuirvalley.dreamhosters.com/financials/

The question becomes if FoMV will be able to reduce those in the future.

you are right on what they have spent, i didnt realize that. However, when you look at it, all the big ticket stuff is related to infrastructure, materials, and labor. I dont see that continuing. The vault toilets are a prime expample of that. Lots of material and labor went into that and will not be a recurring cost, at least not at that level. Think of all the new big bridges that went in, like to solarium. That isnt going to need to be rebuilt every year. It is going to last.

But your point is well received. THe operational costs need to be cut down, or they need to charge people to climb there.
Willy

Post by Willy »

[/quote] or they need to charge people to climb there.[/quote]
+1

Paying for parking has been discussed. What are the logistical issues with this? Even if someone had to be employed to collect the funds on busy weekends it would still be very worthwhile IMO.
Savage

Post by Savage »

thats a good idea. Perhaps offer a day pass, weekend pass, or year pass. Maybe make it a tax deductible thing too, to encourage people to just get the year pass or whatever.
Steve_RRG

Post by Steve_RRG »

Donations to FOMV are now tax deductible. If they can figure out how to "force" daily donations for parking, you should still be able to write it off as a donation. Many of the "Visitors Centers" I have been in have a welcome counter when you first come in with big signs "suggesting" a donation of $5 or $10 per person.
Liz_Weber

Re: Questions re Muir Valley

Post by Liz_Weber »

I initially said I would try to answer questions about Rick's and my plans to make a gift of Muir Valley to FOMV on the MV Facebook page. I have gotten so many that it has been cumbersome to keep up on FB. Instead I've tried to answer the questions I've received on the MV web page: http://www.muirvalley.com/answers.html

I'm sorry that I haven't had time to respond to all of the personal messages, but thank you so much. If you send questions to muirvalley@gmail.com I'll try to add answers to the above site.

Liz
mjkusn01

Re: Questions re Muir Valley

Post by mjkusn01 »

Liz_Weber wrote:I initially said I would try to answer questions about Rick's and my plans to make a gift of Muir Valley to FOMV on the MV Facebook page. I have gotten so many that it has been cumbersome to keep up on FB. Instead I've tried to answer the questions I've received on the MV web page: http://www.muirvalley.com/answers.html

I'm sorry that I haven't had time to respond to all of the personal messages, but thank you so much. If you send questions to muirvalley@gmail.com I'll try to add answers to the above site.

Liz
Thanks for posting. Interesting (audacious) questions some people ask...