News re Muir Valley

Posts here will show on front page

Moderator: terrizzi

ray
Site Admin

Re: News re Muir Valley

Post by ray »

The operating costs are too high to sustain. Couldn't $200K be put to use better elsewhere where the ongoing maintenance isn't so costly? Can FOMV rip out all of the costly stuff to make it like the PMRP or Miller Fork?
mjkusn01

Post by mjkusn01 »

ray wrote:The operating costs are too high to sustain. Couldn't $200K be put to use better elsewhere where the ongoing maintenance isn't so costly? Can FOMV rip out all of the costly stuff to make it like the PMRP or Miller Fork?
Make MV like Miller Ford...? Not sure that's possible as everyone already knows how to get to MV and there are roads leading there.

I like your idea of ripping everything out, though. Let's spend that $200k on private contractors to come in and bulldoze the bathrooms, tear down the equipment sheds, and smash in the medical units. Then, we can remove Rick and Liz's house, brick by brick. Did I miss anything?
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

ray wrote:The operating costs are too high to sustain. Couldn't $200K be put to use better elsewhere where the ongoing maintenance isn't so costly? Can FOMV rip out all of the costly stuff to make it like the PMRP or Miller Fork?
I hate to be pessimistic, but I too have my concerns. It seems to me that the ongoing maintenance is not sustainable. I do realize that if everyone donated 10 dollars a visit (a bargain compared to a day at the gym) that covering costs wouldn't be an issue, but we all know that donations are incredibly low. The reality is that Muir Valley is in competition with all of the other climbing areas in the RRG. Over time I see donation fatigue increasing and more people not willing to donate when 50 other crags don't have a daily suggested donation, nor the high continual maintenance costs.

What I am really trying to say is that Muir is a wonderful resource. I would hate to see Muir disappear due to the community not supporting the continuation of high maintenance costs due to donation fatigue.
Living the dream
tradotto

Post by tradotto »

It would be nice if the Access Fund or some other entity could spread donations to all the areas in the red.

Say I give $100, $25 goes to Muir, $25 goes to RRGCC, $25 goes to badbolts.com and $25 goes to fighting to get roadside open.
clif

Post by clif »

is the Muir Valley Operations Manual available to the general public?
training is for people who care, i have a job.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

tradotto wrote:It would be nice if the Access Fund or some other entity could spread donations to all the areas in the red.

Say I give $100, $25 goes to Muir, $25 goes to RRGCC, $25 goes to badbolts.com and $25 goes to fighting to get roadside open.
Each time you climb? :wink:
Living the dream
Steve_RRG

Post by Steve_RRG »

I know money doesn't grow on trees, but you can't do any other activity for $10 per day per person. If you can't afford that, drive to the nearest national park that allows climbing and see how much that costs. Gee whiz, just pay the $10 and be darn glad to have such a wonderful place to climb so close to home.
Ken84il

Post by Ken84il »

Steve is right on the money. How much do we spend on gear, tents, sleeping bags, patagonia down sweaters and blah blah blah.. if you can't afford 10 bucks a day or 20 even y did you get into such an expensive hobby. Don't get me wrong, i have climbed at muir without a donation on occasion.. but i am happy to help with parking, fundraising, trail day, etc to make up for those weekends where money is tight. So many ppl simply, drive in from where ever, park, climb, then leave.. only to return the following day to do the same.. Drop a days beer money in the box and have a couple glasses of water-
ynp1

Post by ynp1 »

No, you did not Ken! I will never go with out my beer! You are just being unreasonable...

Truthfully though, $100,000 annual cost is crazy. It doesn't sound like it was designed to be very sustainable, with out a lot of funding. Maybe the FOMV will figure out how to get that cost down. Good Luck to all!
I don't have haters, I have fans in denial.
Ken84il

Post by Ken84il »

:-)