Lost Ridge beta

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
c-foot

Lost Ridge beta

Post by c-foot »

Heading down for the weekend and I'm looking for some beta on Lost Ridge. Interested in getting on Wide Pride and Boiler Room but not sure about how wet the approach will be (multiple stream crossings? deep?) and whether the cracks will be wet/seeping this early in the spring. I've heard talk that 9b is blocked and the hike in is longer than described in the guide? True?
milspecmark

Re: Lost Ridge beta

Post by milspecmark »

Its not much farther at all, maybe 75 yards
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

9b was open last time I went out there (November maybe?) but not sure now.... at some point they are going to close it at the bridge crossing below Muscle Beach, which will add a mile of walking on a flat road (although Lost Ridge can also be approached from above if you are handy with a map). There are many stream crossings so wading may or may not be involved. Hard to say if the cracks will be seeping by this weekend or not, kind of depends on how much rain falls the rest of this week. In general, the cracks on the "right" side of the holler over by Boiler Room are south-facing and a bit drier than the north-facing stuff over on the left by Wide Pride. That said, by the time you get as far as left as Quality Crack, the rock is south-facing again.

Be sure to update your guide with the new cracks (routes 11-19) over on the right side of the holler past Boiler Room (http://www.redriverclimbing.com/RRCGuid ... wall&id=36)... They are really good!
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

Once they close the road it will be a bikecragging paradise back there.
There is no TEAM in I
Ken84il

Post by Ken84il »

This is the first I have heard about 9b closing... would someone mind filling me in or posting a link. Thank you.
captain static

Post by captain static »

Forest Road 9 is currently open per this notice - http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/dbnf/aler ... ?aid=21992
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
clif

Post by clif »

hey CF, you in chitown now? love the irony in the 'lost ridge' idea but don't even think about the chica pix. i'm fat. huge. i can rest my beer on my belly while driving and it's completely level.
training is for people who care, i have a job.
c-foot

Post by c-foot »

Yep, We'll be in Chicago for a while. Pretty bleak compared to NC. I'm rockin the big gear now and looking for some fat cracks to put it in. Devils Lake in WI is the new "local crag" at 3 hrs away but most people up here seem to make the commute down to the Red fairly regularly. I hold on to that "Unconventional Start" pic thinking that someday I'll blow it up to poster size and take it to Rocktoberfest. Someday.