Tower of Power Repeated!

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
pigsteak

Re: Tower of Power Repeated!

Post by pigsteak »

I do take exception with all the first ascentionists calling their stuff "instant classic'. as a guy who has put up a few lines around here, I know as well as the next guy that we all have a certain fixation on our own lines...we have brilliant foresight, a keen awareness of asthetics, and only bolt 5 star classics. let the creme rise to the top wiht the mass voting. and then perhaps only less than 1 percent should be given the honorary title of classic. mr day, in the case of TOP are you infering that "classic' means old, ignored and rarely travelled?
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
bcombs

Post by bcombs »

I don't know about all this Classic talk... but this thread makes me want to grow a pair and go try this thing!! :lol:

First things first, figure out how to not be a cripple anymore.
Yasmeen

Post by Yasmeen »

pigsteak wrote:we have brilliant foresight, a keen awareness of asthetics, and only bolt 5 star classics.
I know, right!? Waltz the Deal with that, pigsteak? ;)
"I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory." --Paul
---
(Emails > PMs)
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

Yasmeen wrote:
pigsteak wrote:we have brilliant foresight, a keen awareness of asthetics, and only bolt 5 star classics.
I know, right!? Waltz the Deal with that, pigsteak? ;)

exactomundo yas!
LK Day

Post by LK Day »

"mr day, in the case of TOP are you infering that "classic' means old, ignored and rarely travelled?"

Piggie,
It's not my fault that so few have the balls to climb this route. I doubt that it's even 10c, but Hackworth, Johnny, and 5.10OW all backed off the second pitch. Pearsall followed me on the FA and loved it. Caribe followed on the second ascent and had this to say "This thing was awesome. I seconded the route. I'd like to put some work into it to clean it up. Truly an exceptional piece of nature and epic experience." Dan said something to the effect that it was one of the "most memorable" routes he's done, though not certain he'd call it a classic because of the first pitch. I think Dan did the first pitch left side in. I can't imagine doing it that way. Right side in it's way fun laybacking and jamming on rock that looks horrible and climbs great. Tower of Power is a classic old school fright-fest and few are up to the challenge. Nearly everyone that's actually climbed it thought it was a great experience. If it had bolts all the way it would probably be one of the most often climbed 5.10s in the RRG. As it stands, it provides an outstanding challenge for those that are up to it.
Last edited by LK Day on Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yasmeen

Post by Yasmeen »

LK Day wrote:Piggie...If it had bolts all the way it would probably be one of the most often climbed 5.10s in the RRG.
Sounds like a challenge, piggie! ;)
"I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory." --Paul
---
(Emails > PMs)
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

all I need is the FA's permission. anyone know who that might be?
LK Day

Post by LK Day »

You know better :)
LK Day

Post by LK Day »

Dudes! I just found out that Keith Phelps climbed it "about twenty years ago". He's going to ask around to see if any other old schoolers did it way back when. You know, back when men were men. :D :D :D
hamsco

Post by hamsco »

Larry, You know Keith is not a man. He is an Animal!
No creeds, manuals, or special translations