relocated to the area

Need a partner?
noga

relocated to the area

Post by noga »

I just relocated to richmond from boulder, co. I learned how to climb in the red in 02 and excited to be back. I climb trad and sport. With having a 20 month old daughter and moving i'm not as strong as i once was. I probably lead easy 10's on gear and mid/upper 10's sport right now. I'm looking for some safe/fun climbing partners. Also would be psyched to learn about the richmond climbing community, if any. Hopefully there are some home woodies that are welcoming to new indivduals. Thanks.
Josephine

Re: relocated to the area

Post by Josephine »

noga wrote:I just relocated to richmond from boulder, co. I learned how to climb in the red in 02 and excited to be back. I climb trad and sport. With having a 20 month old daughter and moving i'm not as strong as i once was. I probably lead easy 10's on gear and mid/upper 10's sport right now. I'm looking for some safe/fun climbing partners. Also would be psyched to learn about the richmond climbing community, if any. Hopefully there are some home woodies that are welcoming to new indivduals. Thanks.
Talk to Tutugirl about her woodie :-)
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
Crankmas

Post by Crankmas »

Don't know the specifics but there is a climbing wall at EKU and an excellent bouldering and training facility in Lexington "Bluegrass Bouldering" ? Both would probably serve as a base for climbing partners as well, best of all you now have the Red River Gorge, start with Brother Stair and Curbside, it's all up from there. :)
noga

Post by noga »

Yeah i'll be sure to check out those two gyms. I'll also check those two areas in the red. I've got a pretty long ticklist that includes rock wars, brontosaurus, headstonr surfer, strick 9, the underling, handjob, and oberon to name just a few. Drop me line if anyone is looking to get out.
Bum

Post by Bum »

Crankmas wrote:Don't know the specifics but there is a climbing wall at EKU and an excellent bouldering and training facility in Lexington "Bluegrass Bouldering" ? Both would probably serve as a base for climbing partners as well, best of all you now have the Red River Gorge, start with Brother Stair and Curbside, it's all up from there. :)
In order to climb at EKU's gym you must be accompanied by a member of the gym. A day pass to the gym cost $5, and there are belayers on duty from 3-9PM.
The boulder wall is open when ever the gym is open.
There is also a treadwall upstairs.
noga

Post by noga »

Yeah I actually stopped in there today. The person at the front desk told me that I either needed to be a student, an alumni, or a family member of an alumni (all of which I am not). I'm a bit bummed. I know there is Bluegrass Bouldering in Lexington, but I was hoping for something a bit closer.

On a side note, for some reason I can't reply to some of my PM's (says something about the server). I appreciate individuals reaching out to me. I'll keep trying to PM you back. It would be great to get out to the Red.
krampus

Post by krampus »

The PM thing happened to me too. I believe that it only prevents you from replying to PM's. Try composing a new PM to the person, it should work that way.
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared
takewrning

Post by takewrning »

I just moved to the Richmond area too, also in similar a-bit-out-of climbing shape and haven't led sport or trad in a few years and looking to get back into it. I work Mon-Fri nights so can get out for a few hours during the weekdays too. Have you made it into the bouldering gym off of the bypass?
Josephine

Post by Josephine »

noga wrote:Yeah I actually stopped in there today. The person at the front desk told me that I either needed to be a student, an alumni, or a family member of an alumni (all of which I am not). I'm a bit bummed. I know there is Bluegrass Bouldering in Lexington, but I was hoping for something a bit closer.

On a side note, for some reason I can't reply to some of my PM's (says something about the server). I appreciate individuals reaching out to me. I'll keep trying to PM you back. It would be great to get out to the Red.
tutugirl sells drypoint - if you can't reach her on this site you may look up drypointe (i can't remember if it's with or without the e)
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

A former professor at EKU and myself put up a few boulder problems at Indian Fort east of Berea ten years ago or so. PM me if you're interested in knowing more.

I doubt that EKU wall is worth crap. Some guy named JB had something to do with getting it put in. (No, seriously, it's pretty good)

To sort of answer the first part of your original post my family and I moved back to KY from the Denver area last year and now that the kids are older (7 and 11) we're getting back into climbing. We live in Stanton and are just biding our time until the weather gets better.
There is no TEAM in I