Dam... Beavers

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
allah

Re: Dam... Beavers

Post by allah »

moving the beavers is by far worse than taking down a tree! Climbers are such hypocrites!
Artsay

Post by Artsay »

Eeek. This is a nasty ugly predicament to be in!

Those dams are impressive. The beavers are living the good life down there and clearly aren't planning on going anywhere on their own.

Being ignorant to the whole beaver thing, I looked into it and found this educational video that pretty much locked in my viewpoint to be on the beaver's side (if anyone's interested?): http://animal.discovery.com/mammals/beaver-dam.htm

Miller Fork is fantastic and the high water thing is definitely an issue. What about looking into some other creek crossing options instead of beaver removal? Maybe building a cinder block ford? http://www.waldeneffect.org/blog/Crossi ... ing_Creek/
Does he have a strange bear claw like appendage protruding from his neck? He kep petting it.
ynp1

Post by ynp1 »

I agree with artsay, I think that dam is amazing!
I don't have haters, I have fans in denial.
whatahutch

Post by whatahutch »

If they are moved now, they will most likely die before spring comes. They use their dams as shelters for the winter. They may not die, but the chance is still good that they will. If live traps are the option at this time of the year a rifle is just as effective and possibly more humane than exposure or starvation death.
Beavers are pretty interesting creatures. Only we humans trump them in the ability to reshape the envirnments we live in. The dam will keep getting bigger and bigger each year, and the beavers may never move out on their own. If there is no other choice but removal (or extermination) maybe it should be done at a different time of the year. I don't know the timeframe for this, I'm just making a suggestion that may give the beavers a fighting chance to start a new home somewhere else.
"Come to send, not condescend" - Eddie Vedder
ynp1

Post by ynp1 »

I think we should remove Mike D. from land manager... We can use live traps if we all think that would be best.
I don't have haters, I have fans in denial.
DriskellHR

Post by DriskellHR »

Well your certainly entitled to your opinion. If you feel that strongly then I suggest you come to the next BOD meeting and tell the BOD your reasons. I'm sure they will be more than happy to hear you out.

That being said I have contacted an ecologist to best advise of what actions we should take. I should have something in the next couple weeks. Its all taking back seat to the 2 parking lots being constructed and the trail days being planned.

have a stellar day.
"....... Be sure to linger......." Mike Tucker
DriskellHR

Post by DriskellHR »

and thanks for the suggestions/links artsy. I did not realize this was such a hot button for folks. putting things on hold until we know what course of action (if anything) is best.
"....... Be sure to linger......." Mike Tucker
whatahutch

Post by whatahutch »

I see no need to remove Mike. In summary of something he stated in another post, he is just doing the dirty work of the CC and for us climbers. I just don't think moving the beavers now would not be very good for them. I am on the side of letting them stay in general, but I am serious when I say that a bullet in their furry little noggins would be better than the option of moving them. Where I grew up, though, this conversation would never have happened. The beavers would have been shot and left to the coyotes. Chainsaws, shovels, and a backhoe would clear the dam. (I suggest dynamite in the MFRP).

This is good that this sort of thing can be brought up in the public arena of our little community website. Hopefully the CC sees that its supporters don't think moving the beavers would be a good option at this point. There are bigger rodents to fry, like wood rats that inhabit cracks that I may wish to climb. I suggest smoking them out by burning our socks and underwear. That always worked for the raccoons treed in hollow trees in my hometown. Once the rats are out we can blow'em away with our double-ought 12s. (They'll friggin' explode like flying pinatas if we use a big enough gun. All I have to say to that is 'MERIKAA-nough said). If they come out of the cracks high enough it will be like shooting skeet, except we will have flying flaming rats as targets. If anyone tries this way of flushing wood rats, please wait until the flaming rat clears the face of the rock before firing. It would be terrible to have your shot ricochet off the wall and hit you, possibly causing harm to yourself. (Just think how stupid that would look). Just don't get trigger happy and wait to fire. If the flaming rat lives the jump and subsequent crash to the ground, you can just shoot it as it climbs your legs in vengeance.

And ynp1, yeah, sadly I am still working on a (another) master's degree, which prevents a lot of climbing. At least the tag under my avatar is truthful. I have never thought of you as they have tagged you. I have always thought of your tag as harsh and wrong.
"Come to send, not condescend" - Eddie Vedder
TradMike

Post by TradMike »

Here is more info on designing a low water crossing with concrete blocks. I know how to design these and could help out if a low water crossing is desired.
http://www.conteches.com/Knowledge-Cent ... esign.aspx
http://www.conteches.com/Our-Company/Ne ... pLevelSkin
toad857

Post by toad857 »

whatahutch wrote:If they are moved now, they will most likely die before spring comes. They use their dams as shelters for the winter.
Dams, no. Lodges, yes.