Dam... Beavers

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
Andrew

Dam... Beavers

Post by Andrew »

Fyi, some beavers built a dam just down stream from the creek crossing that gets you into Miller. The dam raised the water level two feet making the deep part about 3 feet deep. Despite what Ray says, his brotastic truck wasn't going to make it across unless the dam was breached and the water level lowered. I am not sure what to do about this issue as I don't really want to go around joe kindering beaver dams. (sorry for the joke joe)
Living the dream
dustonian

Re: Dam... Beavers

Post by dustonian »

haha JK'ing. Them beavers have been out of control lately!! Damn all along the Big Sinking Creek next to Fixer Rd too...
JR

Post by JR »

Andrew this is Joe. Go ahead and blow up that damn beaver dam (PUN!!!). We are talking about sport routes here. Of course you should pull the trigger. Now that I am thinking about it, that beaver might just rebuild the dam (kill it). After all thats what beavers do. Beavers build dams. The same way sweet dudes bolt routes. It's nature. Laws bro'!!!!
Cromper

Post by Cromper »

Perma draws and Vaccines kill.
lena_chita

Post by lena_chita »

Andrew wrote:Fyi, some beavers built a dam just down stream from the creek crossing that gets you into Miller. The dam raised the water level two feet making the deep part about 3 feet deep. Despite what Ray says, his brotastic truck wasn't going to make it across unless the dam was breached and the water level lowered. I am not sure what to do about this issue as I don't really want to go around joe kindering beaver dams. (sorry for the joke joe)
Just knock it down... in couple years, hordes of noisy climbers will make the beavers move shop, anyway. You are just giving them advance notice, so to speak.
clif

Post by clif »

funraisers. coon skin caps for the boys, beaver tail hats for the girls.
training is for people who care, i have a job.
Crankmas

Post by Crankmas »

Have obama tell the beavers if they like their dam they can keep it...
tradotto

Post by tradotto »

toad857

Post by toad857 »

Reading for those inclined:
http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/for/for50/for50.htm

From what I understand about beaver dam removal in Kentucky, you may remove the dam, but there are regulations as to where you may put the debris, if you're into that sort of thing. Expect the dam to be rebuilt quickly.

I've not been down to Miller Fork, but what does the watershed look like? I.e., are large floods expected this winter? May not be a problem.
DriskellHR

Post by DriskellHR »

Yeah the beavers suck. I'm working on it and plan to do some more "removal" soon.

As to the water shed question they do cause a problem in this respect. pretty swampy land down there as is.

thanks for the heads up.

Mike D
RRGCC land manager
"....... Be sure to linger......." Mike Tucker