Dyno wall Rocktoberfest 2013?

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...

Dyno wall RF 2013

Poll ended at Sat May 18, 2013 2:13 pm

YES, $5,000 is totally worth it and YES I would pay to enter
13%
YES, $5,000 is totally worth it but NO I would not pay to enter
34%
NO, it's not worth it
53%

Total votes: 53

Bum

Re: Dyno wall Rocktoberfest 2013?

Post by Bum »

No one has any questions about the wall design?
Are the panels going to be professionally built, or are they going to be built in someone's garage?
A typical 4x8x3/4 panel (including tnuts) from a well known company costs around $350-550.
A 4x8x3/4 plywood panel from Lowes is $40.
I feel like $5000 is quite a bit for a simple plywood bouldering wall.
DriskellHR

Post by DriskellHR »

Bum, i'm not going to get into the design details there is no point. But it was not just a "simple" bouldering wall........

here let me make this clear

WE WILL NOT BE BUILDING ONE!! so what's the point?

and please feel free to get a quote on a bouldering wall. since we clearly have not done our homework. you can go get the engineers report calculate the load stresses and design a freestanding counterweighed system that can be moved and reused indefinitely. not to mention covering the construction with a full insurance policy. do that and see where your numbers are......... :roll:
"....... Be sure to linger......." Mike Tucker
J-Ru

Post by J-Ru »

I'm not a market research analyst, but I have some doubts that the users of this forum (i.e. voters) are truly representative of the RRGCC or Rocktoberfest attendees. I also agree with Dustonian that the questions may be leading to skewed results. And, as mentioned above, if Rocktoberfest it a big source of RRGCC $ and/or we want to keep it fun we have to have fun stuff to do or watch, preferably climbing related.
pkananen

Post by pkananen »

Have we tried to get a wall manufacturer to loan the wall/sponsor this event?
krampus

Post by krampus »

I agree J-Ru, that is basically what I was trying to say but got lost in weird analogies and such. Rocktoberfest is our little Miely Cirus, anything we can do to keep people coming is worth it if you ask me.
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared
RRO

Post by RRO »

The old saying, gotta spend money to make money.....while 5k is a fair amount of skrilla to help with immediate needs as pointed out, it can also be used as a catalyst to help generate much more in the long term. My vote is go for it...out of any portion of the RF, the dyno comp draws the biggest crowds to watch. More than movie, more than band , more than anything. Vendors expect it, and if approached and pimped out I'm guessing they will front the cash or at least help. Spectators expect it, it's a climbing event, you have to have clImbing related activities to watch and do. If you don't then people can hang out and drink beer for free at many other locations, you want them to pay to do that, entertain them. If the wall is used for 5 years, figuring 1k a year spent compared to vendor/spectator draw/atmosphere it creates is a no brainer and it will help raise much more money to spend on immidiate needs. Hillbillies two cents....
http://www.redriveroutdoors.com

If you need to contact me , email me. Less Internet, less stress
clif

Post by clif »

i could go for it but would like for it to see more than once a year use, like those state fair gigs or county development get togethers/visibility spots. just for a 'counterweight' comparison i'll add

http://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Deere-300B ... 3cd143d9be
training is for people who care, i have a job.
RRO

Post by RRO »

While in time I'm guessing it could be incorporated into more events. The planning and implementation of that is unknown, not undoable and good idea, just unknown...so for sake of the issue at hand let's all think if the <1k a year is worth the risk to reward it brings to RF( and especially since a portion of that will be generated from vendors).

As a company I got 100, I expect a RRO advertisement on the wall and a dyno problem set and mentioned during the comp. 4900 left and it will be easy to get if we all put our knee pads on now.

RRO

Post by RRO »

A tractor would be great investment, getting the county and oil company to take care of, even better....but really, I see no reason why both can't happen and in reality both wall/tractor will feed each other in the budget needs...good ideas y'all, I'm out to enjoy the sunshine and prep for my new knee tomorrow

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

RRO wrote:The old saying, gotta spend money to make money.....while 5k is a fair amount of skrilla to help with immediate needs as pointed out, it can also be used as a catalyst to help generate much more in the long term. My vote is go for it...out of any portion of the RF, the dyno comp draws the biggest crowds to watch. More than movie, more than band , more than anything. Vendors expect it, and if approached and pimped out I'm guessing they will front the cash or at least help. Spectators expect it, it's a climbing event, you have to have clImbing related activities to watch and do. If you don't then people can hang out and drink beer for free at many other locations, you want them to pay to do that, entertain them. If the wall is used for 5 years, figuring 1k a year spent compared to vendor/spectator draw/atmosphere it creates is a no brainer and it will help raise much more money to spend on immidiate needs. Hillbillies two cents....
This is the type of argument/explanation that I was looking for. Sounds like you should build it.
Living the dream