New Gravel!

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
Cleveland

Re: New Gravel!

Post by Cleveland »

I was asking because it is my understanding that if a county fails to take care of a road for a certain number of years then it becomes private property. Since it has only been six months the issue is not ripe.
"Do it"
climb2core

Post by climb2core »

From Audrey Sneizek's Facebook on Monday, April 15th:

"Attention Red River Gorge climbers! If you drive down Bald Rock (aka the Motherlode hill), then you need to read this!

I recently learned that the road is being maintained just for us! You heard me. Just for us!

Why?

Because of climbers' positive contributions to the area....but mostly because of the work I've been doing with them and TEALS. They are grating the road out of kindness, and it costs them, but they are doing it because we are contributing something good back.

Please spread the word and do your part to respect the land, give back to the community (if you can or ask me how you can get involved), and in general be thankful and respectful to the locals for helping us out. These are small steps towards building better relations, something the RRGCC has been actively working toward. Learn more about my recent interactions with the school district and local students, here:

http://audreysniezek.wordpress.com/2013 ... eattle-wa/ — in Seattle."
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

The county roads are in great shape lately, the county (and oil companies?) have been all over it.
Cocoapuffs1000

Post by Cocoapuffs1000 »

Actually the infamous hill by the Motherlode has been in great shape the past couple years, even as other parts have deteriorated.
Meadows

Post by Meadows »

climb2core wrote:
Because of climbers' positive contributions to the area....but mostly because of the work I've been doing with them and TEALS. They are grating the road out of kindness, and it costs them, but they are doing it because we are contributing something good back.
Audrey's work is superb, but I disagree on the reasoning. It's mostly because there are kind folk in/around Beattyville as we've been seeing in recent years.
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

Meadows wrote:
climb2core wrote:
Audrey's work is superb, but I disagree on the reasoning. It's mostly because there are kind folk in/around Beattyville as we've been seeing in recent years.
Yep... not to mention maintenance of those roads is directly funded by the surprisingly costly property taxes in Lee County.
climb2core

Post by climb2core »

One more quote from her:

"Seriously, I was floored when I spoke to the Chairman of the Board while he was visiting Seattle and he literally called his guy in Ky to see if the road had been re-grated recently. The guy said he'd been down that hill twice already this season. I've never asked them to do this for us but I did inquire at one point why they don't pave that road and wondered who owned it and maintained it. I guess he understood how important getting up and down that hill is to us. Looks like this is his way of appreciating climbers, which is kind of a new thing in that area. "

Not saying the love the road is getting is OR is not because of her... but I am sure her work doesn't hurt, and for that I am appreciative.
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

Her contribution is appreciated for sure, but it is one of many and the county had been taking good care of their section of road for the past several years.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Impressed with her work!
Something I've thought about for awhile is working with LeeCo/schools to help interested kids in learning to climb.
Give them something to do in their backyard which happens to be a world class climbing destination.
I believe it would go a long way in building great relations which would just happen to spread to families and the surrounding community at large.
Of course the questions would include who would teach? Who would give their time? Etc...
Perhaps offer up 5-10 slots at this years UClimb.
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

GREAT idea Jeff!! Some friends are involved with a similar program introducing the kids in Hidalgo to climbing in Potrero Chico. Climbers contribute with instruction time, donated shoes, harnesses, etc. Excellent way to instill good will & stewardship in future generations!