New Gravel!

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
DriskellHR

Re: New Gravel!

Post by DriskellHR »

And I'm just saying that dense grade did jack shit....... It's been tried more than once. And yes that road sees some traffic but let's be honest. Everyone that drives it has a pass, so the people who drive it are controlled. Not only that I see how many cars go up and down it and it pales in comparison to the traffic the hill to sore heel takes. That's all I'm saying, I appreciate ricks advice on dense grade It's just that it did not work in the case of our hill. And I'd seriously like to see how that road would hold up to constant traffic by anyone and everyone. It would be an excellent comparison in that case.

The geo fabric is being explored. But it costs a shit ton.....

Other options include asphalt grindings, or moving the road entirely.

In the interim I hope to have the flat Hollar parking area open by early to mid summer. It's centrally located and will hold a significant volume of vehicles. I just have to get equipment down to level it out an build it up.
"....... Be sure to linger......." Mike Tucker
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

Thanks Mike!!! You the man fer sure. No doubt, the road is just too steep to be maintained without constant attention.
climb2core

Post by climb2core »

Dustin is right... most of the damage happens in the spring. Maybe the answer is get the FH parking done by next spring and put up a sign that only 4wd are allowed up the road (during March/April), with threat of towing.
monty4355

Post by monty4355 »

dustonian wrote:I think 90% of the damage is done during the 3 rainiest weeks of the year (Feb this year), when all the roads turn to complete diarrhea, and mostly by off-roaders/big oil trucks/ATVers. Too bad there's not a way to selectively close the road during that short period to prevent damage.

Thanks again for the amazing effort Mike, not meaning to criticize at all, just looking for solutions. Trails AND roads are way too much for one person IMO, it's really a job that should be contracted out. Or honestly, just let the road go and make the fuckers park in Flat Holler and walk in.
I agree with closing it. The trail back there is great. Put a gate up and keep the road in good enough shape to get equipment for trail days and emergency personnel back there. Make a nice big parking lot in Flat Holler.
weber

Post by weber »

Mike, you are right about the Geo Textile. It is expen$ive. But, in the long run, it saves a ton of money. We didn't know about this stuff when we built the main road into Muir eight years ago. And we have been laying down gravel there every spring ever since. Six more 400-dollar loads just a couple weeks ago, and it really could use a bit more. I think we qualify for an export license for all the gravel we are sending to China as it sinks into the ground. But, we used the Geo Textile as a foundation for the new parking lot, and it has worked amazingly to make the gravel stay put. Unfortunately, it doesn't work well on steep grades. We've been recently advised to look into chip and seal for steep sections. Looking into that now. Until then, we'll just have to keep up the weekly grading of the steep sections.
We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand. - Randy Pausch
None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm. - Henry David Thoreau
clif

Post by clif »

i had the amusing thought of using the charmane oil company road and keeping the cars on top. some lease agreement may be cheaper?
training is for people who care, i have a job.
DriskellHR

Post by DriskellHR »

And it's just the bitter asshole in me coming out.......

Usually the mention of closing anything is greeted with hostility. So I never considered it.

I also received some Pm that were pretty damn disrespectful regaurding the road work..... You know who you are.
Pissed me off. Sorry if I am heavy worded but please note profile pic. It's very fitting for me.
"....... Be sure to linger......." Mike Tucker
Cromper

Post by Cromper »

clif wrote:i had the amusing thought of using the charmane oil company road and keeping the cars on top. some lease agreement may be cheaper?
Haha I like this idea.
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

That section of the PMRP is super beautiful! Unfortunately that is a gated road with potential political risk. I would love to see that whole zone become a recreation area someday.
Meadows

Post by Meadows »

DriskellHR wrote: In the interim I hope to have the flat Hollar parking area open by early to mid summer. It's centrally located and will hold a significant volume of vehicles. I just have to get equipment down to level it out an build it up.
I encountered some friends who parked at the Lode and hiked to North 40 - they said it was much faster than driving all the way to Sore Heel because that new trail is nice, flat, and short.

Given this, I believe this will be a welcomed change to the PMRP, especially given the limitations of the Lode parking which is seeing 40-50 cars regularly during the season. Sore Heel maxes out as well. So thank you for the work you're doing and that you're trying to figure out the best sustainable solution.