Carabiner snapped in a fall

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
lena_chita

Carabiner snapped in a fall

Post by lena_chita »

This past Friday, I was climbing Mercy, the Huff. At the 8th bolt, which is, for those who have done the route, right at the lip of the little black rooflet, I made the long move to a crimp, attempted to make another move, and fell. The bolt-side carabiner on the draw had snapped in the fall, and I took a much longer and scarier ride than I was expecting.

Luckily, with a good belayer, and being high up on the route with nothing but air to hit, I was not hurt, other than getting a really big scare.
We have taken some pictures and I think have re-created what happened pretty accurately.

This is how the draw was hanging on the bolt. You can’t see it very well in this picture, but the rock is overhanging enough so that the top biner is not touching the rock in any way. I do know that the draw was hanging straight and not snagged on the bolt, because I was shaking out on the jugs right below it for about a minute after I clipped it, so it was definitely not a desperate clip-and-go-without-noticing-that-the-draw-was-snagged scenario. Besides, it is a key-lock biner, the snagged nose usually happens with notched biners.
These are the marks on the biner that suggest how the biner was positioned on the hanger when it snapped:
Using these marks and a spare bolt hanger, we recreated the likely scenario—in these next three pictures:
My best guess is that I had kicked/snagged the draw as I was making the next long move, because the move does take me directly in front of the draw, and I have to stay close to the wall when making the reach. And then, when I fell, the biner snapped, because it is not meant to be loaded this way.
I have heard of biners breaking in such fashion, and have been aware of the dangers of the biner being snagged/rotated/cross-loaded on the hanger. What really surprised me is how little force is needed to snap the draw this way. When I fell, the bolt was barely a foot below my tie-in knot. I was at the 8th bolt of an ~80ft route, so there was probably ~75 feet of rope out. With slack and soft catch (yes, it was a soft catch, belayer jumped) I would have expected to fall maybe 7-8 feet. The draw was newish, had only been climbed on a handful of times, and was not notched or burred. The rope—also newish, brand-new last fall, and only had maybe 12-14 days of climbing on it, because the owner lives in Florida. There were no falls or takes on the rope in the 3 days prior to this fall, so you can’t even say that the rope was stretched out from too many subsequent falls in a short period of time, and was thus less dynamic that optimal. I weigh 105 lb. Somebody else can try and calculate the forces, but in terms of climbing falls, this is as light as it gets.

What can be learned from this, and how this could have been prevented? Obviously, in general terms, you have to be very aware of the position of your quickdraw, and you should avoid kicking your draws when you climb past them. But in this particular case on this particular bolt and particular moves —I am not sure.

I went back to send this route on the next go, and even though I was obviously HYPER-aware of that draw, I STILL couldn’t avoid snagging and shifting it with my body as I made the move. I cannot stop and adjust the draw mid-move. The first time I can reach down to make an adjustment is after I reach the next jug. But in that case, if I had reached the next jug, there is no falling, and I can make another move and clip the next bolt, anyway.
I have been on this route before, have made the move before, and have fallen there before, without any incident. Considering that this is a redpoint crux of the route for many people, there have been probably 1000s of falls there, and as far as I know biners are not broken right-and-left in this spot, even though I am pretty sure a lot of people do the move the same way I do, and thus have the same potential of getting the draw snagged.
I am thinking that a trad draw might have been good in that spot, because even if I snagged/pulled the rope-side biner, the bolt-side biner would probably not have shifted. But who climbs Mercy with trad biners?  Having a short stainless chain to extend down, so the draw is clipped below the little roof might be helpful, as would be a permadraw, but this is at the Left Flank, no fixed gear, so it’s a moot point.

Opinions, suggestions, and analysis are welcome.

My partner who owned this draw contacted Petzl, but at this point there is no reason to think that this was a defective biner.

The general take-home message for me is to:
-double-check your draws, to make sure they are hanging properly and not snagged or twisted
-avoid kicking or shifting your draws as you climb past them
-look down and double-check that you haven’t kicked them
-be mindful of the fact that you really aren’t out of the “danger zone” when sport climbing until you are fairly high up
-avoid falling when you have only one draw clipped.  None of us have ever fallen on the first draw, right?
dustonian

Re: Carabiner snapped in a fall

Post by dustonian »

Scary. Had the biner ever been dropped from height as far as you know?
lena_chita

Post by lena_chita »

dustonian wrote:Scary. Had the biner ever been dropped from height as far as you know?
Not as far as I know. These draws belong to my friends/partners, who are very experienced climbers and who take good care of their gear and are not in a habit of randomly dropping it from heights (you know them, they happen to own a cabin in the same place you do, I believe). The draws have been purchased about 1.5-2 years ago, but due to their current location and circumstances they do not do a lot of outside climbing, so the draws have seen only a handful of climbing days since they have been purchased.
Cocoapuffs1000

Post by Cocoapuffs1000 »

It looks like it's too late, but if possible do not touch the broken surfaces back together - the manufacturer will want them undisturbed when they analize the break (I assume you will be sending it back to them)
Brentucky

Post by Brentucky »

Glad you are okay. That is some crazy stuff. Thanks for sharing.
efil lanrete... i enjoy the sound, but in truth i find this seductively backward idea to be quite frightening
lena_chita

Post by lena_chita »

Cocoapuffs1000 wrote:It looks like it's too late, but if possible do not touch the broken surfaces back together - the manufacturer will want them undisturbed when they analize the break (I assume you will be sending it back to them)
Yes, too late for not touching, because the first impulse of everyone on the scene was to stick them together and make a variety of comments that very all a variation of the same basic concept, e.i. "HOLLY SHIT!!!!" And obviously, the broken-off piece went flying and fell into the dirt, too...

But yes, Petzl was contacted, and the draw owner will send it in, and do whatever else they ask.
gravitycoach

Post by gravitycoach »

Only one suggestion/comment - hang the draw with the gate facing away from your direction of intended travel. The moves past that bolt are up and right so the gate should be facing left. May or may not have had any impact on the outcome though. That's a bit freaky for sure! :shock:
Alpine... to think, I could have just opted for anal sex and been done with it!
DMT
mike_doyle

Post by mike_doyle »

gravitycoach wrote:Only one suggestion/comment - hang the draw with the gate facing away from your direction of intended travel. The moves past that bolt are up and right so the gate should be facing left. May or may not have had any impact on the outcome though. That's a bit freaky for sure! :shock:
Exactly. Most people know to hang the draw with the bent gate facing opposite the direction of travel (so the rope doesn't fall over the gate and open in the event of a fall) but when sport climbing and clipping bolts you also want the straight gate (bolt end) of the quickdraw to face opposite the direction of travel. That way, as you move, the bolt will stay in the top of the carabiner. Having the straight gate facing with the direction of travel can cause the bolt the get caught right where the gate attaches and crossload the biner, resulting in the break you experiences. I'm not positive that is what happened in your case but it's a good idea to have both gates facing the same direction, and opposite the direction of travel. Glad you're ok.
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

Interesting point, but from the description it sounds like the gate of the upper biner was facing right and she was moving left. Unfortunately there is no silver bullet when it comes to that small but omnipresent background risk when trusting your hide to a single piece of gear, especially the non-locking aluminum variety. Just glad she was high on the route!
RachelEatsAvocados

Post by RachelEatsAvocados »

I could be wrong, Dustin, but Im pretty sure she would have been moving up and RIGHT, if I remember the route correctly, just like Mike was describing. Either way... GREAT POST and writing Lena. I'm very glad to hear that everything turned out OK.