Rebolting Effort Details - Yank the Mank!

Posts here will show on front page

Moderator: terrizzi

Artsay

Rebolting Effort Details - Yank the Mank!

Post by Artsay »

Yank the Mank in Red River Gorge, Kentucky!

Show your love of Red River Gorge, KY by contributing to a winter 2012-2013 rebolt effort currently underway!

Replacing mank gear is everyone’s responsibility who climbs in the Red. If you have not already contributed to Team Suck Climbing or the Mank Bank, please consider visiting the Mank Bank today to make your deposit in support of responsible climbing. The folks out on the front lines are hard at work to limit the number of climbing-related accidents and they cannot do it without your help.

---------- ROUTE WORK SUMMARY----------

Walls and Route Details

Dark Side: Shanghai, American Dream, and others as needed.

Bob Marley: Toker (50% complete), Ultraperm (partial), Sugar Magnolia (thank you Lee Smith for sponsoring this route!), Flush, Reticent, Where's the Beef, and Bloodbath.

Motherlode: Beavis, High Hard One, Team Wilson, Hot for Teacher, Swahili Slang, multiple Madness Cave routes. Note: bolts already acquired from previous fundraiser, other supplies still needed.

Military Wall: BBBB, maintenance on Sunshine & maintenance/new anchors on Moonbeam.

Purple Valley, Pebble Beach, Indian Creek: Multiple routes and anchors.

Effort Description

All aluminum will be pulled. Steel draws will be used to replace existing aluminum fixed draws on equipped steep route or intermittently placed for cleaning.

Items for purchase include steel bolts, hangers, anchor hardware, draws, epoxy, drill bits, gloves, and other miscellaneous supplies.

Expected Cost
With an estimated 20 routes completed this winter:
- Priority 1: Routes without steel draws = $1500
- Priority 2: Cleaners and/or replaced steel draws equipped on existing cave routes = $2600

Please share this link: http://www.redriverclimbing.com/mankbank

REPORT BAD BOLTS!
http://badbolts.com/

Questions?
Artsay

Re: Rebolting Effort Details - Yank the Mank!

Post by Artsay »

Game on!

I'll put $25 in the bank for someone who will match me. Any takers?
Does he have a strange bear claw like appendage protruding from his neck? He kep petting it.
rmcfall

Post by rmcfall »

Artsy,
I've actually got 20 steel permadraws I planned to hang as cleaning draws at the Darkside. John Garcia of Austin arranged for these to be donated courtesy of ClimbTech.
Rob
Cromper

Post by Cromper »

Isn't the bridge out by dip wall going to be closed very soon? This will add a huge approach onto the upstream crags, so why are efforts being put toward purple valley? I love safe gear but if no one is going to use it then why replace it? I fully understand I sound like an ill informed ass from this response.
stix

Post by stix »

if folks are sprucin up the dside, the gear on darth moll is mine. hopefully i will be pulling most of it at some point here, but the climbtech at the anchor (i'll put another one on the chains too next trip out), the climbtech at the 7th, and the draw at the 4th (was there when i started climbing on it and seems to be in fine shape) will stay when i strip the rest. seems like good one's to stay for the sake of cleaning and tough clip.
keenan
"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation." Thoreau
rmcfall

Post by rmcfall »

re Darkside...I think cleaning draws at the crag are sufficient. The place already sees bigger crowds than it can handle, and similar to the current fixed aluminum, steel permadraws on every bolt will only encourage more due to the convenience. Cleaning draws on each route would make stripping one's gear at the end of the day super casual--there would be no excuse for leaving draws on a route at the end of a day.
Brentucky

Post by Brentucky »

Artsay wrote:Game on!

I'll put $25 in the bank for someone who will match me. Any takers?
I've got your match, Artsay. Thanks for the offer, and thanks to all the folks out there doing the work!

I still need points for "Flush," but those bolts are too scary for a falling gumby like me to climb on. I'll be one of the few who is looking forward to that one.
efil lanrete... i enjoy the sound, but in truth i find this seductively backward idea to be quite frightening
kafish2

Post by kafish2 »

Are there specific dates for when all this going to go down. Due to my current status as broke college student I cannot donate much in the way of funds but could definitely donate time and tools to actually do some rebolting.
Artsay

Post by Artsay »

Hey Rob, I sent you a PM. ;-)

Brent - cha-ching! Deposit received. Thanks!! :-)

Kyle - I don't think anyone will say no to help. I'll shoot ya a PM.

Total so far is a little over $400 with 9 donations received so far.
It's a good start but we still have a ways to go and know we can do better. Don't be afraid to just donate $5 or $10, every little bit helps.
And please ask your friends to ask their friends to donate and to help get the message out.
Does he have a strange bear claw like appendage protruding from his neck? He kep petting it.
CLIMBTRAD

Post by CLIMBTRAD »

Cromper wrote:Isn't the bridge out by dip wall going to be closed very soon? This will add a huge approach onto the upstream crags, so why are efforts being put toward purple valley? I love safe gear but if no one is going to use it then why replace it? I fully understand I sound like an ill informed ass from this response.
I was planning on doing the rebolting at Purple Valley and Indian creek.. but sadly you are right with the road closing soon I'm afraid no one will ever go out their, and this work may be in vain..
Maybe the gear and time would be better spent on Pistol ridge and Pebble beach,maybe dip wall as well..I'm down for what ever needs worked on..
Rebolting the RED one stainless steel glue in bolt at a time!!