Lost in the Woods or What's with the Holes?

Having problems finding a crag or a route?
Bruisebrother

Lost in the Woods or What's with the Holes?

Post by Bruisebrother »

Yah I was. Is there really a Gladie Rock ? Anyone know the story behind cone shaped Hominy holes ? I've seen probably 20 Hominy holes over the years. But until this past Sat. they all were 4 to 5 inches in diameter and anywhere from a few inches deep to maybe 18 inches and being the 4 to 5 inches top to a flat bottom. The last 2 started out 4 to 5 inches at the top and then formed a perfect cone to the bottom of about an inch and 1/2. The one was about a foot deep. the other close to 18 inches. Anyone know anything about these seemingly oddballs ? Thanks for any info. Climb Safe.
whatahutch

Re: Lost in the Woods or What's with the Holes?

Post by whatahutch »

What I was always told was that hominy holes were used to make hominy, which is corn that is soaked until it essentially ruptures the kernel shell. It was a traditional food of Native Americans in this area, and is pretty tasty. Maybe these other hominy holes were used to make more or less of the desired amount of hominy? I don't know, just making a guess.
"Come to send, not condescend" - Eddie Vedder
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

Those arent hominy holes. Those were for baking cornbread.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
captain static

Post by captain static »

Can't tell you anything about "hominy holes" that stuff is for archaeologists. Ask Johnny Faulkner.

As far as "Gladie Rock", John Bronaugh gave that name for the cliff where I put up "Eagles Gift". If you stand on the bridge across Gladie Creek by the visitors center and look up the Gladie Creek drainage the cliff formation ending in a prominent arete is "Gladie Rock" and in fact there is a sinkhole off the Trace by this section of cliff.
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

Sounds like a cool route, Bill.... somehow that one had evaded my radar. I'll have to go do it someday. How does it compare to Nevermore?
captain static

Post by captain static »

It's just one long pitch of a handcrack. The hand crack peters out near the top for a fun scum up a rounded slab to the top out. That fin of rock is only about 3 - 4 feet wide at the top.
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

Man, you're getting me DruMackSIKED talkin' like that!!
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

That's drumacksiked or DMS for short Dustin ;)
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

no doubt...dustin is getting old...DMS is da way to go...
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

Haha yeah, no doubt.

So basically, just take Bison Way trail to the Sheltowee, make a right, hike until you see a hollowed out sinkhole (limestone?), and then walk straight up to Gladie Rock?