Most Heartbreaking Route

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
pumpout2004

Re: Most Heartbreaking Route

Post by pumpout2004 »

Golden Boy...still have a lot of pent up hatred for that that route.
Chuffer juice!
drifter

Post by drifter »

The true heartbreakers for me are ones that I've spent a lot of time and energy on the redpoint go, only to fall at the end. Shorter routes like Stunning don't stick in my head as much because I've only been climbing on the route for a couple of minutes before I send or fail. With that in mind, 2 routes that come to mind are Easy Rider and the Madness. So much invested and then the smackdown! Good times.
Cromper

Post by Cromper »

dustonian wrote:I foresee a long cold season on the shady side of the holler....
Haha Definitely. It will soon be time to start heading out there in the mornings.
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

all day shade I think... ouch
Ryland

Post by Ryland »

Spent two months working a route at my limit in China, probably tried it over 25 times, and fell at the same move almost 20 of those times. The one time I finally moved past the last crux, my feet slipped and I failed again (insert rage and screaming). Eventually it got too hot and it wasn't possible anymore. Honestly, It was heartbreaking every try until the last day, when I knew it was too hot to send, and I had to gave up. Then I just accepted that sometimes you're going to try something over and over, and still come up empty handed.
Rob Smith

Post by Rob Smith »

For me it was Kaliedoscope - falling after skipping the last clip going to the good pocket that ends the final crux with maybe 8 moves left to the chains. I've seen a lot of people fall there over and over. Honorable mentions to Table of Colors and Convicted. Equally heartbreaking and still on my project list outside of the Red have been La Confianza in Maple and the ultimate heart-breaker, Churning in the Wake in Smith Rock. What makes the heartbreak all the worse is paying for those plane tickets.
JR

Post by JR »

Golden Boy hurts my feelings so bad.
SCIN

Post by SCIN »

I vote for the last pump run on Kaleidoscope. Also can't leave out the relentless smacking and smudging at the top of Dracula with a horrendous runout below (before the bolt was added). Oh yea, Castle has Fallen has to be up there too.
Yo Ray jack dynomite! Listen to my beat box! Bew ch ch pff BEW ch ch pfff! Sweet!

-Horatio
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

how about some heart break memories for us mere mortals..any of you hone dogs ever get spanked on 5.11 and under as you were working the grades.....

sadly, no one can relate to those magnificent routes you mention, cause only 3 people on here can climb that hard.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
whoneedsfeet

Post by whoneedsfeet »

I had a hell of a time with crown of thorns. the last hard move was just barly out of reach wingspan wise, so the extra move I had to add spit me off more than enough times to make me go home and cry to mommy.
Skipping cruxes is a way of life.