Climbing Around Colorado Springs

Other Crags, Aid Climbing, Bouldering, etc...
dustonian

Re: Climbing Around Colorado Springs

Post by dustonian »

Really?? I never saw that... ran there for years but never got eaten.
RRO

Post by RRO »

dustonian wrote:Really?? I never saw that... ran there for years but never got eaten.
we can all dream you will go try again someday....
http://www.redriveroutdoors.com

If you need to contact me , email me. Less Internet, less stress
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

Heh that would be a pretty glorious way to go out, wouldn't it??
graniteclimber

Post by graniteclimber »

Eldo is world class trad? That place is pretty fun but it's best quality is the proximity to Boulder. If it were 3 hours away no one would climb there.
vertical1

Post by vertical1 »

I think "world famous" is slightly more appropriate than "world class" but don't let the locals hear me say that.
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

graniteclimber wrote:Eldo is world class trad?
Absolutely. I can't think of many routes in the US that measure up to Naked Edge in terms of rocK quality, position, movement, or history. Rincon Wall is a completely stellar crag, and the moderates on Wind Tower & Bastille are second to none. There are dozens more classics in 5.10-5.11 range as well.
graniteclimber

Post by graniteclimber »

Hmm. Haven't done the Edge (it snowed and I left town, damn!) but one route doesn't make an area world class. I can think of a dozen routes I suspect would rival the Edge though... and they're all at the Needles.
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

The Edge was better and more memorable than Don Juan and Atlantis IMO, though those are very good routes too. All are in the same category as the Rostrum and Astroman in the Valley, the Prow at Cathedral, anything on the Diamond, maybe Silk Road at Calaveras. To each their own of course, and even though I love a good splitter crack, they are a dime a dozen out west. The Edge is just an incredibly unique and varied route and sits front and center at the proudest, most exposed location amidst a dramatic concentration of great routes. That said, it is not the only classic route in Eldo.
zdordai

Post by zdordai »

Looking for sport? Clear Creek Canyon (CCC) outside of denver, South Platte areas like Elevenmile Canyon and Thunder Ridge are excellent, Devils Head up on Rampart Range Road (check to see if the road is still closed before you head up there or its a $25,000 fine due to the fires...); there is excellent steep and vert sport climbing to be had. Yes, shelf is awesome. CCC has more varied terrain, as does Elevenmile. These areas are all on Mountainproject...