Copperhead bites

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
milspecmark

Re: Copperhead bites

Post by milspecmark »

Oh yeah, thats right. I stand corrected. LOL
philip_sallee2

Post by philip_sallee2 »

Sounds like your friend had a dry bite or stepped on a nonvenomous snake. As previously mentioned, allergies have nothing to do with the type of reaction you will have, if you are bit and were injected with venom then you need to be taken to the hospital ASAP. For some people, a bite will just cause local pain and swelling but the type of reaction you have depends highly on how much venom was injected, which part of the body you were bit and your preexisting medical conditions and medications you might be on. Contrary to popular believe, the size of the snake does not necessarily directly relate to the seriousness of the bite. Plenty of studies have shown that baby venomous snakes have less control over the amount of venom they deliver and its often that they will deliver their entire venom supply with a single bite. The venom of baby snakes has also been found to be more potent and the most serious reactions have been found to come from bites from baby venomous snakes. Lastly, the traditional "cut and suck" method of treatment has been largely found to be entirely useless and creates a perfect location for infection to set up in. Once your skin is penetrated and injected with venom, it quickly enters circulation and spreads to surrounding tissues. Tourniquets cut off circulation and greatly contributes to cell death and should never be used unless to stop life threatening bleeding that cannot be stopped by other means. The best method of treatment is to splint the extremity if possible, elevate and apply ice and get medical attention.
GWG

Post by GWG »

philip_sallee2 wrote:The best method of treatment is to splint the extremity if possible, elevate and apply ice and get medical attention.
I was taught not to elevate the bitten area as this would speed up the circulation of the venom. Granted, this training is some years old now.
DHB

Post by DHB »

philip_sallee2 wrote: Plenty of studies have shown that baby venomous snakes have less control over the amount of venom they deliver and its often that they will deliver their entire venom supply with a single bite. The venom of baby snakes has also been found to be more potent and the most serious reactions have been found to come from bites from baby venomous snakes.
Truth. WEMT here. Splinting and light compression (like with an ACE bandage) really just helps with pain control and allows the immune system to get to work breaking down the toxins. The only really dangerous snakes are of the species Elapidae, also known as elapids, which are found in Asia and South America. No snakes in the US will kill you for certain (though there's always a chance of a bad reaction). Typically the amount of pain will alert you to the amount of venom you got injected with, with the level of pain becoming most severe within an hour or two. There will definitely be swelling and possibly some blistering. Digestive enzymes may cause some tissue death at the bite site, which is why going to the hospital directly is pretty important. Just keep the bite site clean and head in to see the doc for some antibiotics and monitoring.

Killing the snake may be unavoidable in some situations, but NEVER try to kill/ capture it and bring it with you for the docs to see. If you want to see an ER nurse FLIP HER SHIT, bring her a dead snake in a pillow case. Like everyone has said, the type of snake isn't really important since antivenom is rarely needed.
milspecmark

Post by milspecmark »

So depending on the pain, you should or should not get to the hospital? I am just thinking when you are at the crag and you get bit, should you leave immediatly or just chill and wait?
ted

Post by ted »

"so ive been told" a large percentage of copperhead bites to humans are "dry bites" as they are simply striking in defense vs wrapping up on a field mouse for dinner where venom is needed. But I would definitly haul ass to the ER if i was bit by a copperhead.
ynp1

Post by ynp1 »

I agree with Ted. My girl friend is a ER nurse at UK and she agreed.

Go to the nearest ER, but if they do not have anti venom they are worthless. If you are at the red drive to UK and stay calm. You will be OK.
I don't have haters, I have fans in denial.
DHB

Post by DHB »

milspecmark wrote:So depending on the pain, you should or should not get to the hospital? I am just thinking when you are at the crag and you get bit, should you leave immediately or just chill and wait?
You shouldn't need to run to the parking area, drive 90mph on the parkway with your hazards on, kick in the door to the ER and demand to be seen by a doctor. That being said, I'd make it a priority that outranks 'bagging one more route, bro', especially if you don't get a good look at the snake or can't tell if it's venomous or nonvenomous. You're going to need a blood test to determine what treatment, if any, is necessary. Just don't freak out. Very rarely is there an actual emergency.

If you're good at the Google, you can look up pictures of bite patterns from venomous snakes vs non. Then if you feel confident in your ability to tell them apart in a real-world situation, you could make the call in the field. But if it were me, I'd go to the hospital regardless.
weber

Post by weber »

No big deal in my case because it was a dry bite.
We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand. - Randy Pausch
None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm. - Henry David Thoreau
toad857

Post by toad857 »

DHB wrote:The only really dangerous snakes are of the species Elapidae, also known as elapids, which are found in Asia and South America.
Yup; and the only dangerous rock climbing is the kind where you're free soloing.