Fear of Falling

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
climb2core

Re: Fear of Falling

Post by climb2core »

Fear of falling is often from fear of the unknown. When you start to feel that fear, assess why. Is it truly dangerous? ie ledge or groundfall? If so, then fear is somewhat appropriate and only mitigated by confidence that you won't fall. If you are questioning if you will make it in these situations, I would suggest you are climbing over your head. However, that being said... there are few ledges in the Red and most climbs are well protected.

So in the event that you are feeling that fear creep up and you know the fall should be safe, then this is exactly the time to fall. If you feel it is too high, down climb some if you can and then fall. See what happens and how you feel. Then climb a bit higher and do it again. Repeat, repeat, and repeat some more.

It also helps to climb with people that routinely fall when climbing. My mentor taught me early on that I wasn't sport climbing if I wasn't falling. It just became normal. I have also climbed with groups where the culture was fear if falling... It is funny how fear can be infectious.

In short, what everyone else said. Practice falling and do it frequently in a controlled and deliberate manner. Then when you are gripped out your feet are above the last bolt it won't seem like a big deal to take the whip. You will climb stronger once you get to the point where falls are more of an awareness than a fear.

GL!
Last edited by climb2core on Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josephine

Post by Josephine »

climb2core wrote: It also helps to climb with people that routinely fall when climbing.
+1
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
milspecmark

Post by milspecmark »

"If you're not flying, you're not trying". Wow, this was all great advise. The only thing I have not heard yet, which helps me, is breathing and meditation. The fear is in your head, attack it at the source. Go over the climb in your head before you start. Know where the dangerous falls can occur and know where it is safe. If overhung and no ledge, remind yourself of that while doing it. Even Ask your belayer to remind you "Hey man, your all good if you fall!" I think Dean Potter would be someone to watch and learn from with the way he mentally approaches climbing.
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

2012 crack attack crew will school u on the sharp end. Stay tuned
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
krampus

Post by krampus »

pigsteak wrote:2012 crack attack crew will school u on the sharp end. Stay tuned
ha, shit piggy, I've probably had gear rip out on the sharp end more times than you have even taken falls on gear. Come check out the chicken this Saturday if you want to see some trad gear used for its intended function. :wink:
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

lol...well that WAS intended as a compliment on pushing the barriers, but I sense a bit of defensiveness in your retort....interesting.

wet cracks this saturday...wow....sounds like a blast.

and having gear rip????? and bragging about it....hmm, I think that is more about a level of competency that is amiss than anything....not sure i'd be bragging about that. ;) and I did check my dog earred logs...I was climbing the bastille when you were in...wait for it.....3rd grade. sorry brah.
caribe

Post by caribe »

pigsteak wrote:lol...well that WAS intended as a compliment on pushing the barriers, but I sense a bit of defensiveness in your retort....interesting.
Intention is presumed at all pigsteak posts. I mean we are talking about the guy who had to get shoulder surgery about a year ago because of all the pot-stirring. :shock:
Shamis

Post by Shamis »

wear a helmet. That might help. The only serious danger apart from landing on a ledge or hitting the ground is flipping upside down and hitting your head. Wearing a helmet significantly reduces the risk of anything bad happening during a fall, and it might give you the extra confidence required to take them.

Also, try taking some of the sand out of your vagina.
krampus

Post by krampus »

Darn piggy, trying to make me feel all guilty...I could sense sarcasm. Besides, I have only pulled 3 pieces of gear, and I knew they were crappy when I placed them.
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

krampus wrote:Darn piggy, trying to make me feel all guilty...I could sense sarcasm. Besides, I have only pulled 3 pieces of gear, and I knew they were crappy when I placed them.

lmao.....you know me too well;)

btw, where is the bastille? I googled that right before replying.....