Drill question

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
rjackson

Re: Drill question

Post by rjackson »

What pig said...
Pick myself up, stop lookin' back.
Grand Funk Railroad
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

if you have to ask...
clif

Post by clif »

i have to ask, if you don't know is it better to ask or just muddle through until you figure it out? and or those of you who didn't/don't have to ask, did you muddle through, did someone take the time to show you, or was it divine inspiration from reading pigsteak's send list?
training is for people who care, i have a job.
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

OK, to clarify: if you have to ask on the intardnet. I learned from hand-drilling anchors on trad climbs, and watching & helping someone with lots of bolting experience, like anyone considering putting up routes should.
climb2core

Post by climb2core »

Perhaps a better question to ask:

I am looking to do some bolting in the Red. I really don't have any experience or even the equipment. So, before I put something in the rock that may fail and kill myself or someone else I wanted to learn how to go about it safely. Is anyone (with experience bolting in the Red's sandstone) willing to take a look at the rock I wanted to bolt and offer some guidance on the equipment how I should go about doing this?

Disclaimer: The OP didn't say anything about bolting or climbing... just drilling holes in the rock. So, if dude just wants to make a pencil holder out of his rock, my apologies.
falling!!!!

Post by falling!!!! »

This is a bit more what you might want in a gas powerd drill.
http://www.ezebreak.com/accessories.htm
Not many folks use them here in the US. Ryobi and Makita make one also, but I'm not sure if they are available in the US.
captain static

Post by captain static »

You've got to be kidding on the gas powered drill? This has me drooling though: http://www.toolnut.com/Bosch_11536C_1_3 ... 536c-1.htm
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

It's a nice light drill but fairly overrated... the Joey Kinder thing kills me too, almost makes me want to switch models considering how many bolts that guy has screwed up and spray he's slathered upon the world! Anyway I've had mine since January, probably drilled 300 or so holes, and the batteries are already wearing down on them. The SDS mechanism is also somewhat chintzy and mine is already hard to get bits in and out. That said, the charger mechanism is nice tho and it's cool knowing approximately how much juice you have left on a battery. Also, I dropped mine from 70 feet a few weeks ago and it still works great! I wouldn't spend over $425 on one either unless shipping is free... check CPO Bosch or Tyler Tool as well. Give it a generous B+ grade overall.
bcombs

Post by bcombs »

I don't have the compact, but I got my drill at CPO Bosch as well. I think it was right at $300.
falling!!!!

Post by falling!!!! »

I have noticed that the Bosch chucks are sensitive to proper maintaince.
If you do not lube them as specified the bit will not want to release or insert as it should.