Fatality at Muir

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
Liz_Weber

Fatality at Muir

Post by Liz_Weber »

For those who have been asking for more information regarding the death of a climber in Muir Valley last Tuesday (6/19/12)—thanks for understanding that we couldn’t give a lot of information until we had the facts and family and friends had been notified. There was a great deal of misinformation published and broadcast.

Robert (Bob) Curtin, 45, of Newark, DE was climbing on “Earthsurfer” at Muir, an 11d route within his ability level. His 15-year-old son, Nic, was belaying him. There was no indication of any belayer error, climber error, or equipment failure. Bob had rope out ready to clip a bolt, when he indicated that he couldn’t continue and asked to be lowered. Witnesses reported that he then groaned, his body went limp, and he fell 20 to 25 feet with his son giving him a textbook-perfect soft catch, rising a few feet himself to absorb some of the energy. Hitting neither the wall nor the ground, Bob hung prone in his harness at which time Nic quickly lowered him to the ground. Bob had no pulse, nor was he breathing. CPR was started immediately by bystanders and continued by Rick when he arrived ten minutes later continuing for about an hour to no avail.

Thank you to the many volunteers who helped Tuesday with the attempted resuscitation, the transport of the deceased, and helping to comfort Nic.

The medical examiner determined that Bob’s death was due to natural causes related to coronary disease. His fall appeared to be caused by loss of consciousness. All indications are his death was very sudden, and that he did not suffer.

Bob and his son, Nic, were here by themselves, so Nic spent Tuesday night with us, and we took him to Lexington Wednesday for a flight to be reunited with his family.

Bob had another son, Eric, who is in the Navy. Based on the number of people who have contacted us, he also had many friends in the climbing community around the country.

Rick and I send our deepest condolences to family and friends.
the lurkist

Re: Fatality at Muir

Post by the lurkist »

Thank you, Rick and Liz, for your humanity in dealing with this terrible event for this family. You are an inspiration to us all.
Hugh Loeffler
"It really is all good ! My thinking only occasionally calls it differently..."
Normie
Meadows

Re: Fatality at Muir

Post by Meadows »

So young to die and too young to lose a father. My thoughts are with them and I hope Nik and his brother find comfort in the support of their climbing friends and community. Thank you, Liz and Rick, for keeping us informed of the facts of the situation and quashing the rumors (of which brought me here to find info).