guidebook obsessed

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
THB

guidebook obsessed

Post by THB »

So, friends that know me well know that I have an obsession with guidebooks. I'm always looking to expand my collection. Which ones should I buy next?? I'm looking for your recommendations of good guidebooks that are entertaining to read, specifically for sport climbing areas or bouldering areas.

These are some that I already have (and I'm not looking to expand my collections with duplicates):
Joe's Valley Bouldering
Hueco Tanks Bouldering (can't wait for the new version of this to come out)
Smith Rock Select
Bouldering RMNP
Ten Sleep Canyon
Rifle Mountain Park
Maple Canyon Rock Climbs
Rock Climbing VA,WV, & MD
Coopers Rock Bouldering Guide
Seneca Rocks (both editions of the Tony Barnes book)
New River Gorge Select Rock Climbs
New River Gorge (3rd ed. by cater)
New River Rock (thompson guide)
New River Gorge Rock Climbs (newest guide by Williams)
RRG (2nd and 3rd editions of Rays book)
The OBED
HP40
Stone Fort
Rock Climbing Boulder Canyon
Colorado's 14ers
Rock Climbing Colorado
Best of Boulder Climbs
Classic Boulder Climbs
Best of Boulder Bouldering
Rock Flimbing the Flatirons
Rock Climbing Eldorado Canyon
Clear Creek Canyon Rock Climbs
RMNP the Climbers Guide
Taos Rock
Vedauwoo Bouldering
Clear Creek Canyon Sport Climbers Guide (by Rolofson)
Classic Climbs in Garden of the Gods, CO

I've already pre-ordered the Rock Town, GA guidebook (by Brayack Media)... I'm psyched for this one to show up at my door, it should be coming any day now! I was looking into purchasing the bouldering guide for Rocklands South Africa, but as it turns out, this is actually pretty hard to find in the states.
kafish2

Re: guidebook obsessed

Post by kafish2 »

I didn't see the coopers rock guide in there. While it is not the best guide by any means it is OK andwith it only being one state over there may be a chance you are driving by one day and may want to take a quick detour.
clif

Post by clif »

seems like there are some pretty big california gaps? i'll sell my jtree for ~20. i think it was >35 new 15 years ago.
training is for people who care, i have a job.
camhead

Post by camhead »

Great topic, I'm a bibliophile, too, and love collecting and hoarding guidebooks. The new trend in guides that started around 2002, with using professional photos, and little testimonial essays from significant locals and developers, has resulted in a lot of books that are just fun to read by themselves. The RRG, NRG, Obed, Stone Fort, and Hueco guidebooks are all on the back of my toilet right now.

Other favorites: definitely pick up Dave Bloom's Indian Creek guide. It was the first new school guidebook that I got. Also, the two volumes of Dick Williams' Gunks guides (The Nears and the Trapps) are pretty iconic; definitely more oldschool (black and white print, not the best photos), but as far as authoritative info, they've been the gold standard for guides for over 20 years now.

I've seen various drafts of Brayack's Rocktown guide as well, it is sweet!
faceholdonacrackclimbDAB!
milspecmark

Post by milspecmark »

You should get the Joshua Tree guide book. It is through the same publisher as the RRG books. Great book
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

If you're looking for beautiful guidebooks that could keep you entertained for days & days, SuperTopo's guides are basically mini coffee table books. I'm also a guidebook hoarder, and these are among the favorites in my collection:

Yosemite Big Walls
Yosemite Valley Free Climbs
Tuolumne Free Climbs
Yosemite Valley Bouldering

I'm sure all of their books are on par, quality-wise, but these are the only ones I own.
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

jimmy wrote:If you're looking for beautiful guidebooks that could keep you entertained for days & days, SuperTopo's guides are basically mini coffee table books. I'm also a guidebook hoarder, and these are among the favorites in my collection:

Yosemite Big Walls
Yosemite Valley Free Climbs
Tuolumne Free Climbs
Yosemite Valley Bouldering

I'm sure all of their books are on par, quality-wise, but these are the only ones I own.
Agreed! Some of the best FA histories in American rock climbing are in these guides... especially the Big Walls book (3rd ed.)--detailed history and anecdotes from each route covered. Excellent toilet reading for you, Todd!
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Any NC guidebooks?
Living the dream
Spikeddem

Post by Spikeddem »

It's all downhill from the Ten Sleep guidebook, I'm afraid.
graniteclimber

Post by graniteclimber »

The new Smith guide is excellent.