Demon Seed vs Soul Ram

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
climb2core

Demon Seed vs Soul Ram

Post by climb2core »

For those that have been on both...

Which one felt harder?
Which one was headier?
Different style of climbing?
Did you prefer one, or are both great?

I was gonna get on Demon Seed, but a friend is telling me it is heinous. I have been on Soul Ram twice and was able to maybe 3 hang it my second go.

I fear the advice may be suspect, as the person is also a big fan of the click up....
Last edited by climb2core on Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stix

Re: Demon Seed vs Soul Ram

Post by stix »

i think demon seed is the better line. soul ram actually feels a touch harder to me, but i think they're are gonna come down to personal preferences in terms of which one feels more difficult (unless you're pretty short and demsonseed could be nails hard). soul ram is mainly downpulling holds and as straightforward as it gets as long as there is some chalk on the grips. demonseed has lots of different moves and types of grips with some interesting beta. i put it in the top 3 in the grade in the red for me personally. neither one feels particularly heady.
"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation." Thoreau
climb2core

Post by climb2core »

Thanks Stix,

Comments appreciated.
caribe

Post by caribe »

climb2core wrote:Thanks Stix, Comments appreciated.
Hopefully you can read between those lines! I am reading 'project SR first.'
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

Soul Ram is in the sun almost all day... you're a little late for this season. Both routes are super classic.

Tryin to go all techy, huh Ian??
climb2core

Post by climb2core »

Caribe, I guess I am too obtuse to be able to do any better than read what is on the line. I took the comments at face value. I will find out the fun way...

Dustonian, Just trying to hit up some of the classics of the grade. Also got lots of steep, mindless jug hauls to send too ;)
JR

Post by JR »

climb2core wrote:For those that have been on both...

Which one felt harder?
Which one was headier?
Different style of climbing?
Did you prefer one, or are both great?

I was gonna get on Demon Seed, but a friend is telling me it is heinous. I have been on Soul Ram twice and was able to maybe 3 hang it my second go.

I fear the advice may be suspect, as the person is also a big fan of the click up....
-Demon Seed is graded harder for a reason. Demon Seed is more difficult.

-Headier??? I guess Demon Seed because it traverses. Big swingy clean falls can happen.

-Similar angles and length. Soul Ram is mostly crimping while Semen Deed has some very big spans on pockets.

-Both are great.
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

Semen Deed hahaha!!!
climb2core

Post by climb2core »

JR, pretty sure consensus on Soul Ram is that it is 12c, and that Porter originally graded it 12c. That is why I was comparing the two.
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

Soul Ram is no harder than 12b, compared to other slightly overhanging to vert 12c's around the US of similar style... there's just not many of them in the Red. It would probably be rated 12a at most granite sport crags. That said, stix is right in that it is MUCH harder without chalk on the holds.

Swahili Slang is just as good as both and similar angle/rock quality... also very soft for the grade... but apparently that's not true for shorties.
Last edited by dustonian on Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.