Devil's Racetrack

Having problems finding a crag or a route?
CLIMBTRAD

Devil's Racetrack

Post by CLIMBTRAD »

Anyone have any beta for Devil's Racetrack outside Knoxville?
Looks like some cool rock from the highway.. did some research online found some, but not much.
thanks
Rebolting the RED one stainless steel glue in bolt at a time!!
goodguy

Re: Devil's Racetrack

Post by goodguy »

heard the parking lot is riddled with broken glass from break ins and that while it's a unique setting with some run out routes the added worry of theft is not cool.
Oh man, he is messing that up. However, he is missing his left leg so that way would probably be harder for him. SCIN, just before spraying some beta for a climber doing a route the WRONG way.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Heard the same thing goodguy. I've got an old hand drawn topo around somewhere Patrick, I'll see if I can find it.
CLIMBTRAD

Post by CLIMBTRAD »

I did find the route maps.. but was wondering about the hike in.. it sounds like their is two ways in.. one Long way and one short way. Anyone know about hike in.
Thanks anyway Jeff
leftwich

Post by leftwich »

I've been there twice. The parking area did have broken glass and looked like a local party spot/campsite on the creek; pretty typical east TN/KY. The were some good routes there on a type of rock not normally climbed around here. Very much like a scaled down Nelson Rocks. There is a way to access the upper end (the other approach brings you in at the lower end) by means of the Cumberland Trail that starts up the road at the state park. Sorry I don't know how long it is but judging by the girth of some of the people I saw it couldn't be all that far.
leftwich

Post by leftwich »

Looks like 3 miles. I would be interested in getting a copy of the route map you have.
Attachments
map
map
clip_image002.jpg (56.67 KiB) Viewed 4006 times
CLIMBTRAD

Post by CLIMBTRAD »

The route map I got was found on rockclimbing.com it had a link to a site with route map and the same trail map you posted... In that site the guy talks about 3mile hike in... But said their is a much shorter way.. just hard to find..
sharon9999

Post by sharon9999 »

I have been there a couple times.I think the 3 mile hike might be if you park in the parking lot in the park.The hike in from "the boulder" is fairly short,kinda steep though if I remember correctly.That is where cars get broken into,we were lucky,didn't have that problem.If you go,Lucy in the sky really fun.