The crowds are not going away... So what do we do?

Posts here will show on front page

Moderator: terrizzi

climb2core

Re: The crowds are not going away... So what do we do?

Post by climb2core »

rhunt wrote:I live in Columbus, Ohio and...
People from Ohio are the real reason the Red is so overcrowded with gymballs..
clausti

Post by clausti »

climb2core wrote:
rhunt wrote:I live in Columbus, Ohio and...
People from Ohio are the real reason the Red is so overcrowded with gymballs..
I know this is a running joke around here, but most people from Cleveland go to the New, because of drive time and interstate architecture (77 goes straight from Cleveland to the new, basically). But the Red draws Ann Arbor, Detroit, Chicago, Northwestern U, Indy, Bloomington Indiana (40k college kids), Columbus, Cinci, Lexington, Louisville, Nashville, Chatty, and the ATL. And that's just what's within a very moderate ~6 hour driving radius.

The mountains between the New and many of those cities increase the driving time (not-interstate travel), lower the convenience a bit, and contribute to funneling more people towards the Red and not the New. The closest cities to the new are not as close, and they're all strung out along the east coast.

Geography, not just the extremely local geography of the climbing, affects the moment of people across the land.
climb2core

Post by climb2core »

Dood, chill... I am from Cbus, and yes it is a running jole around the Red. Oh, and I am a Canadian to boot. I am the problem :)
Steve_RRG

Post by Steve_RRG »

What about more climbing areas in the RRG? The PMRP will be paid for next year. What are chances of finding more cliff-line for sale? With the massive crowds now going to the Red, it seems that a $5 per day charge/donation would help start a land purchase fund. It seems crazy to expect to climb for free. What other sport allows free access. Running, I guess, but not many.
Rotarypwr345704

Post by Rotarypwr345704 »

EricDorsey wrote:
Rotarypwr345704 wrote:when Climbers from Orlando decide that they're going to make a trip, and it 8 hours to LRC, 11 hours to Foster's and 13 hours to the Red, we ALWAYS pick the Red because of it's quality.
I guess I dont get that point... You are passing other CLOSER and less CROWDED areas just to come to the red. Open your horizons, there are tons of awesome places in the south to climb just as good as the red. I don't understand such close minded people, but I guess thats why the red is so crowded cause everyone thinks its the only worthwhile place in the south to climb...
What's not to get? Open my horizons? I've been all over the Southeast. The Red is my favorite place to climb. The other four people that were responsible for choosing a place to climb also agreed that they enjoyed climbing there over other places. Once we were done with these trips, those who went on the trip, also agreed that the Red was better than the other destinations we've gone to. I'm sorry what's not to get? Isn't a matter of personal preference? So yes, we pass CLOSER and less CROWDED because we BELIEVE it is WORTH it. GET IT?
I fell for the everyone-shut-up-and-ill-donate-money scheme. -Ray Ellington, guidebook gawd

My name is Sam Douglass and I love to pose for photo shoots holding on to a jug with only one hand (and no feet!) with my best friend Ian.
EricDorsey

Post by EricDorsey »

Rotarypwr345704 wrote:What's not to get?I'm sorry what's not to get?
Pretty simple really. I don't get why you would drive an additional 4-6 hours past linville, the obed, Twall, foster falls etc etc to a place that is more crowded when I personally think the others are just as good. Of course its all personal opinion, I just don't understand it. I guess you just wanna be part of the scene :)
Nit

Post by Nit »

Make the first bolt too high to stick clip.
Rotarypwr345704

Post by Rotarypwr345704 »

EricDorsey wrote:. I guess you just wanna be part of the scene :)
Yup. I typically go to the Lode, hangdog up everything, wear out permadraws and then take a shit underneath as many routes as I can. I then blame all the Eurotrash for taking the shit, and all the college dudebrahs for trashing everything/access issues. Then I go online at Miggies and bad mouth the Gorge in hopes that the masses will wise up and go elsewhere. Wake up, repeat.
I fell for the everyone-shut-up-and-ill-donate-money scheme. -Ray Ellington, guidebook gawd

My name is Sam Douglass and I love to pose for photo shoots holding on to a jug with only one hand (and no feet!) with my best friend Ian.
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

Nit wrote:Make the first bolt too high to stick clip.

there is never a first bolt too high...;)
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
KD

Post by KD »

pigsteak wrote:
Nit wrote:Make the first bolt too high to stick clip.

there is never a first bolt too high...;)
Was that you over by the rocks? The fake german was a dead give away "pooh haus!"