More dropped climbers

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
pigsteak

More dropped climbers

Post by pigsteak »

Heard that there were two more incidents involving sketchy belays and resulting decked climbers. Anyone know more?
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
krampus

Re: More dropped climbers

Post by krampus »

yeah, stupid kid clinched the gri gri because he wasn't sure if the climber needed slack or was falling, and in the other case, some stupid kid clinched the gri gri because the climber fell when he wasn't ready for it.
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

Oh are these in addition to the ATC drop at the Lode and the botched clip at Dark Side? Stupid kids.
caribe

Post by caribe »

krampus wrote:yeah, stupid kid clinched the gri gri because he wasn't sure if the climber needed slack or was falling, and in the other case, some stupid kid clinched the gri gri because the climber fell when he wasn't ready for it.
Cinched the Grigri or Grigried the Cinch? Are you saying the autoblock release was held open?
stix

Post by stix »

The accidents that I'm aware of didn't have anything to do with gri gri usage. The first was at the lode a few days ago. A climber from lex (taylor?) fell from around the last bolt on resurrection. His belayer, also from lex, (Corey?) was using an ATC and began to catch the fall normally and was lifted off the ground towards the first draw. He appeared to get spooked about hitting the draw/wall and let go of his brake hand well before any contact with anything occurred dropping himself and his climber. Both guys were climbing later that day!

Yesterday at the darkside: sean, who is living in the gorge right now, came off the wall at the second clip on the force with rope in his hand. I was indirect to a bolt on darth moll slightly above and to the left of him and had a clear view of the accident. Sean was visibly struggling to clip the bolt and fumbling the clip. He spent some time with clipping slack out. Eventually he shook himself right off the ledge both feet stand on to clip and barn doored slowly. It looked to me like he may have tried to let go of the slack at the last moment but it stayed in the crook of his thumb while his hand was still above his head. He fell in this position with maximum rope out and the belayer (adam) watched him deck about an arms reach away. Neither the climber nor the belayer spoke through the incident until sean hit the ground.

Sidenote: After lowering from the crux sequence from 3 to 4 on the force the first go sean assure adam that the first 2 bolts of the force were "casual". ya just can't make this shit up!
"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation." Thoreau
c-foot

Post by c-foot »

Didn't the climber know you shouldn't fall until your belayer says he/she is ready? Please belay me with an ATC. Leave your fancy mechanical belay device home.
stix

Post by stix »

neither of these accidents had anything to do with a mechanical belay device.
Clevis Hitch

Post by Clevis Hitch »

They never do.

The guy that let the climber deck because he was going to hit the wall is a pussy.
If you give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
stix

Post by stix »

i agree joe!
DO NOT let a guy named COREY from Lexington belay you!
clif

Post by clif »

this thread is going well
training is for people who care, i have a job.