ReBolting the Mother Lode

Posts here will show on front page

Moderator: terrizzi

dustonian

Re: ReBolting the Mother Lode

Post by dustonian »

Actually Art, SSGIs are rounded at the eye and do not chew into the permadraw quicklink, unlike standard bolt hangers. The rope end steel biners will indeed get sharp on bolts that are frequently fallen on or out of line with the rest (to that end, do NOT let your rope get all sandy and then lower through fixed gear!!).

This is something EVERY climber using the gear has to monitor and maintain, but if you are motivated to round up such a "task force" by all means get to it. This project is about replacing the bolts at the Lode with SSGIs, so if we could stay on topic that would be awesome.
caribe

Post by caribe »

dustonian wrote:Actually Art, SSGIs are rounded at the eye and do not chew into the permadraw quicklink, unlike standard bolt hangers.
I accept that fact. This issue was the reason I was less than sanguine about donating. I will throw some duckets at the proj. if the regular hangers that chew the links so badly will be replaced. See I am on topic Todd.
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

It's a moot point, as all donations are going towards bolts, epoxy, bits, nozzles, and anchor materials (chain/ql's) and not to PD's... although we will take down any existing "permadraws" that are unsafe.

As a side note (sorry to go off topic again), ClimbTech really needs to upgrade the quality of the quicklink on their PDs... that soft low-grade steel, $2 quicklink they currently slap on there is a recipe for disaster.

Ok back on topic. Who's Todd?
caribe

Post by caribe »

dustonian wrote:Who's Todd?
Todd = THB, I should have said Dustin. :oops:
THB

Post by THB »

NOOO!!!! MY COVER IS BLOWN!!!

LOL...
drifter

Post by drifter »

I'll donate for the Madness. Maybe I can finally do it with good bolts!

--Brent
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

Awesome, thanks Brent!!!
the lurkist

Post by the lurkist »

This from Team Suck. We have committments if not out right $2500. Probably more by now. I knew this would go quick. Thanks for getting this done.

I would propose if this goes down as smoothly as it seems, we export it as needed to other needy cliffs.
"It really is all good ! My thinking only occasionally calls it differently..."
Normie
Rollo

Post by Rollo »

I'm gonna wait till it all gets done.... then i'm gonna pull 'em. It's the right thing to do. I can't climb anything there anyway.
And on the third day, God created the Red River Gorge(by conjecture), and he saw that it was good.
Rollo

Post by Rollo »

If i gotta saw-cut a one foot cube of sandstone out to get those pesky wave bolts out i'm doin' it.... it's the right thing to do.

SAVE THE LODE!!!!
And on the third day, God created the Red River Gorge(by conjecture), and he saw that it was good.