Important Info! Next weekend at Muir Valley

Posts here will show on front page

Moderator: terrizzi

weber

Important Info! Next weekend at Muir Valley

Post by weber »

Memorial Day weekend has always been our busiest weekend of the year at Muir. This year we are already seeing a record number of visitors. We have concerns about being able to accommodate crowds expected this weekend.

As many of you know, last weekend the water system for the restrooms at Muir broke down. We are currently working on a major fix that involves running a new water line up the road and connecting with municipal water. This will block a portion of the parking lot and access to our driveway (in which we had 52 cars - of a total of 111 - parked last Saturday) Although we hope to have the work done by this next weekend (Memorial Day) there are no promises. (Weather!)

Combine the record crowds, the excavation work, and the recently-announced closure of Roadside (Graining Fork Nature Preserve), and you can appreciate our concern about the weekend.

When we can no longer accommodate cars, we will have no other choice but to close Muir to additional visitors for the day. So plan to arrive early if you wish to climb here. And consider car pooling. And of course, follow Mom's instructions to "go before you leave home" in case we weren't able to finish the restrooms.

When we have to put the sign up saying "Muir is Full for the day", please respect that sign. Do not park along the county road or on our neighbors' property. Climb elsewhere and come back another day.

Rick
We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand. - Randy Pausch
None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm. - Henry David Thoreau
clausti

Re: Important Info! Next weekend at Muir Valley

Post by clausti »

Oh, and Hey- here is the link to donate to Friends of Muir Valley.

Just read the thread about the stats for last weekend, and realized we hadn't sent and money for a while. Time to send some. So in case anyone else wants a handy-dandy link...

http://www.friendsofmuirvalley.org/index.php?page=6
caribe

Post by caribe »

Gumby riots predicted for Memorial Day weekend in the Red River Gorge. With climbing access closed at Roadside and limited at Muir Valley and 4wd access only to many other areas due to inclement rainfall, gumby rioting has been reported from Beatyville, and Stanton to Campton and all points in between. Local residents are encouraged to keep their firearms clean, oiled and in good working order.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I am staying far away from the Red this weekend.

maybe
Living the dream
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

Let me know if you guys need help with parking or anything else over the 3 days, Rick.
Ashlee

Post by Ashlee »

Second that... if you need help with trail maintenance or cleaning up before/after the weekend is over, please let us know. I could scrounge up at least a few people even if we're just picking up trash.
Monty

Post by Monty »

Please be respectful of the Webers parking situation, and pass the word along. Muir feels like my second home and I would like it to stay that way. If it is full, just find another place to climb. Also, encourage everyone to carpool, even if just from Miguels.
ditzywonder

Post by ditzywonder »

Andrew wrote:I am staying far away from the Red this weekend.
Yup.

its sad when i only get to climb occasionally now, but still love it and i agree with ya. with the roadside closure, muir being a zoo, the road to the pmrp being jacked, who would really want to come? that being said i know there are a lot of people coming down this weekend, but i think i am going to sit on my couch, play with my daughter, eat domino's and call it a good weekend. We'll try agian another day........

maybe
black diamonds are a girls best friend
weber

Post by weber »

The ditching and water line installation was finished today, thanks to help from Jeff Colombo and Skip Wolfe. We busted butt to beat the rain and just barely made it. The municipal water is flowing and the RESTROOMS ARE RE-OPENED!

We are working on the parking lot and access road improvements Friday and should be ready for the Memorial Day crowds. The driveway will be open for parking for about 53 overflow cars in addition to 50 in the main lot. There will also be parking at the top of the road for larger vehicles and more cars.

The welcome mat is out. See y'all this weekend!

Rick
We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand. - Randy Pausch
None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm. - Henry David Thoreau
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

valley passes still available?
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.