Mount Charleston Beta

Other Crags, Aid Climbing, Bouldering, etc...
climb2core

Mount Charleston Beta

Post by climb2core »

Reconsidering Red Rocks for climbing as it looks like it is gonna hit 90 on one of our climbing days. So, I am looking at Charleston as an alternative... specifically either Imagination Wall or Robbers Roost. Anyone have a guidebook with good info they would be will to scan/email on those two walls? If not, will probably buy a guidebook when I hit the ground in Vegas.

Thanks...
Shamis

Re: Mount Charleston Beta

Post by Shamis »

They should have a climbing guidebook for sale at the shop on charleston near the gym.

If you're solid on 12, I'd highly recommend you do the Imaginator. it's an awesome 3 pitch sport route. Just make sure you bring 2 ropes, or a 70m rope.
Also, be aware that charleston often has snow on the ground until late may. I'm pretty sure I never climbed there before june.

Also remember that 90 degrees in vegas really isn't bad if you're climbing in the shade. Find a crag that gets shade all afternoon and you'll be fine. Don't get sucked into the black corridor though, there are much better places to go.
Last edited by Shamis on Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
allah

Post by allah »

more than likely it will be damp there. Seeps alot! you can call and ask the climbing shop there (dessert rock sports, I think) what would be a good option. I would personally head about 2 hours north east to the utah hills this time of year. Cathedral is bad ass!
Shamis

Post by Shamis »

allah wrote:more than likely it will be damp there. Seeps alot! you can call and ask the climbing shop there (dessert rock sports, I think) what would be a good option. I would personally head about 2 hours north east to the utah hills this time of year. Cathedral is bad ass!
Confirming that cathedral is awesome. Not sure if anybody wrote a guidebook for that yet, it wasn't really easy to get to.
climb2core

Post by climb2core »

Yeah, I used to live in Phoenix, so no stranger to climbing in warm temps.... Just wanted to keep my options open. I have climbed at Charleston in May and it was climable. Climbing with gf so that limits some of options. Need climbs from 5.10 to 5.12, reasonable approach (under 30 min). Also wanted to keep drive time to under an hour from Vegas as we have a hotel room there.

Maybe I will just call the Rock shop in Vegas and get current conditions of Charleston then decide if it is worth grabbing a guide book.

Thanks again.
drifter

Post by drifter »

The Roost is good and seeps less than the Hood. Unless someone has written a new guidebook very recently, the published info on the Roost (and the Imagination Wall) is out of date as there are lots of new routes. There's a hand drawn topo floating around the web for the Roost that includes most of the new stuff, try to find that. I have a scanned copy somewhere but I can't seem to put my hands on it.

Bring a jacket, 90 in vegas will be coldish at the roost or the hood (no real sun at the roost, only morning sun at the hood).