Spray direct!

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
steep4me

Spray direct!

Post by steep4me »

Ok, this has bothered me for the past 15 years or so.
Why is it when someone sends a route, there is some code that everyone follows where they post "sent my proj today!" or post a pic w/ no info? It bugs the crap out of me to have someone try to tell us that they sent something and are psyched, but then leave out the name of the route. I am assuming this is some lame attempt at modesty? If you are spraying, you are spraying. I can't get excited to hear that you sent "a route" "somewhere." I want to hear which route it was so I can know what the hell you are talking about. So....everyone---stop pretending to be modest while you are bragging about your send. I like to hear when someone accomplishes a goal, so I don't think spraying is a bad thing. It is inspiring....if I know what you actually did!

"I did something really awesome this weekend!"

"What was it?"

"Oh, that's all I want to say---don't wanna brag or anything." :roll:
Hauling a big ego up a route adds at least a full grade.
JR

Re: Spray direct!

Post by JR »

I agree. But I think back to all the years when I thought spraying at all was lame. Then I thought spraying about the grade was lame. Then I thought sport climbing was lame. Then I thought Trad was lame. Now I think hidden crags are lame. Closed projects are definitely retarded.

See where I am going with this? It's as though there is a giant cosmic spatula. Shit gets flipped.

How's this Steepforme?

I sent up the yellow route(11a), down the yellow route, up the lime green(12b) yesterday. All on lead. 45 foot walls. So about 120 foot 12d/13a is my guess. It probably took me about 7 tries. I feel good about it!!
camhead

Post by camhead »

steep4me wrote:Ok, this has bothered me for the past 15 years or so.
Why is it when someone sends a route, there is some code that everyone follows where they post "sent my proj today!" or post a pic w/ no info?
It all comes down to one of the paradoxes of the climbing community: on the surface, everyone tries to emphasize that there is no competition, that numbers don't matter, and that you need to have an almost ascetic, saintly, understated modesty. But the reality is that you have very little status in the community whatsoever unless you climb hard.
faceholdonacrackclimbDAB!
tbwilsonky

Post by tbwilsonky »

JR wrote:I sent up the yellow route(11a), down the yellow route, up the lime green(12b) yesterday. All on lead. 45 foot walls. So about 120 foot 12d/13a is my guess. It probably took me about 7 tries. I feel good about it!!
real talk.
haunted.
steep4me

Post by steep4me »

Thanks!
SCIN

Post by SCIN »

Why don't you just look them up on 8a or here in the online guidebook? Chances are if they're proud of their sends they tick it somewhere. Personally I sometimes don't name the route in a conversation or post because I don't think people really give a shit or they'll have no clue about the route but I've been asked a question about how my training is paying off or whatever. Besides, if your send was worthy people will hear about it one way or another.

Also, there are lots of lines out there right now which are being kept private for different reasons so it's really not cool to the developers to name them because it may prompt questions leading to sensitive issues like possible loss of access. I know for certain that a few posts on this site have had the route names left off for that reason.
Yo Ray jack dynomite! Listen to my beat box! Bew ch ch pff BEW ch ch pfff! Sweet!

-Horatio
Shamis

Post by Shamis »

I'm curious. How does naming a route at a crag that is hidden affect access to said crag?
steep4me

Post by steep4me »

SCIN wrote:Why don't you just look them up on 8a or here in the online guidebook
Why don't you just say what the route is? I don't care enough about your send to go look it up! :roll:

But... I am interested enough in the moment to be like --"cool! glad you sent that thing." Or, "that's a fun route, I bet you enjoyed working it" or whatever. If you have the energy to tell people you sent, you should at least have the courtesy to tell them what you sent so they can give an appropriate, supportive, (or demeaning) response. Don't give me a damn homework assignment while you are trying to get recognition for your accomplishment k? :lol:
pawilkes

Post by pawilkes »

ok, I'll admit it. the rummors are true, i sent Buckeye Testpiece AND Blood Money this weekend. it was a pretty sick link up. i was trying to be modest about it and not rub it in everyone's face but now that i've been called out i guess i have to own up to my awesomeness.
Sand inhibits the production of toughtosterone, so get it out and send.
ynp1

Post by ynp1 »

I think spraying is cool. If you are psyched on a send tell people! What is lame is when people dog people and put them down for sending and being psyched...
I don't have haters, I have fans in denial.