When do draws left on a warmup become booty?

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
whatahutch

Re: When do draws left on a warmup become booty?

Post by whatahutch »

I can't speak for all of us native Kentucky climbers that visit these forums, but I can't stand that people think they are better than us because they come from places with higher population counts or states that are more "progressive." In fact, it angers and offends me when I read such narrow-minded statements. I just love how all of you have such great self-awareness and such great hearts that you know that you are better than us.
"Come to send, not condescend" - Eddie Vedder
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

As soon as you said you were from Kentucky I stopped reading. I will just assume that it was a poorly written response from a hillbilly.
Living the dream
Clevis Hitch

Post by Clevis Hitch »

Andrew wrote:As soon as you said you were from Kentucky I stopped reading. I will just assume that it was a poorly written response from a hillbilly.
+1
If you give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
lena_chita

Post by lena_chita »

Alex3000 wrote:The full story behind three draws left on a warmup for days at one of the Red's most popular crags is too sordid to sort out here. Suffice to say I was not surprised to find them gone, I was just hoping for a little more climberly love -- a bail 'biner seems like booty no matter where or when you find it, a whole quickdraw is something I leave in place no matter what.

Lesson learned.

But a sordid story is just what we need, on a snowy Thursday morning!

I know it sucks. I had a draw stolen at the New earlier this summer, and it wasn't even left overnight, just for about 3 hours... The entire route (5.11d, about 10 bolts or so) was still pre-hung with draws, and I was at a crag nearby. Someone took the first draw that was about 15 feet up... Either took it off with a stick clip, or climbed up to the second draw and couldn't climb higher? It was a lesson learned for me, too.

Anyway, if I had seen three draws on Mona Lisa, I probably would have left them there for the owner to pick up. It is a grey zone-- 3 draws on a route that only needs 5 or 6...
But I would not have left the draws there myself, and expected to find them after a busy weekend.
toad857

Post by toad857 »

In my opinion, the decision to take 3 draws from the middle of a route is just that--a decision.

...and the decision is based way more on one's desire to have more draws than any kind of justification. unless you're a telepath, it's impossible to know why they'd be left.

3 lone draws on the roadside slab? take em in a heartbeat.
3 lone draws on the roof of phantasia? totally different.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

phantasia doesn't have a roof
Living the dream
tbwilsonky

Post by tbwilsonky »

toad857 wrote:unless you're a telepath, it's impossible to know why they'd be left..
i knew you were going to say that.
haunted.
Clevis Hitch

Post by Clevis Hitch »

First I want to qualify myself by saying I don't "partake" in booty, Unless its that slinky cam on American crack, which by the way I haven't figured out how to extract barring the use of a hammer and chisel or having eight arms to work each individual lob. That thing is amazingly stuck!

If you leave your gear anywhere but under lock and key...expect it.
If you give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
cliftongifford

Post by cliftongifford »

booty is one my favorite things.
Rollo

Post by Rollo »

my rule is simple... does it make my life any easier that the gear is there? if so, it stays.
And on the third day, God created the Red River Gorge(by conjecture), and he saw that it was good.