Ice Climbing potential in RRG?

Other Crags, Aid Climbing, Bouldering, etc...
deamicl

Ice Climbing potential in RRG?

Post by deamicl »

Hey all,

Not sure if this was ever discussed but Is there any potential for ice climbing in the Gorge? I know there are some falls here and there but all the ones i've seen are pretty weak and doubt that they'd end up being big enough to ice climb. Does anyone know of any big falls in the Red?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Lorenzo
toad857

Re: Ice Climbing potential in RRG?

Post by toad857 »

big falls? yeah, but mostly on ro shampo and directly into the boulders.

lots of falls, yep, but what is required is a tremendous amount of rain plus cold temps

use the search function--there are sweet photos out there somewhere from last year i think
pkananen

Post by pkananen »

An expedition was mounted last year, which was a good year for ice. I think the general consensus is that the rock is too steep to support most of the falls, if there is enough runoff and cold temps to get the ice flowing in the first place. Although, you may get lucky here and there.

Roadcuts are the preferred ice climbing in KY. A sweet FA was done last year just south of Cincinnati.
deamicl

Post by deamicl »

Yeah, i saw the video just some moments ago. Pretty sweet climbing considering it's by the highway. Doesn't make for a relaxing soundtrack while climbing but hey, there's ice climbing in cincy! So, is it legal to climb along highways since it's state property?

Do you know off hand of any specific areas along the road with good ice formation during the season?
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

Ha ha... one can of worms sir, just as you ordered.
Syphur

Post by Syphur »

Seems like I remember hearing that guy got arrested for it.
toad857

Post by toad857 »

it's illegal, but the fine may only be trespassing.... could be worth it
pkananen

Post by pkananen »

Apparently the slight bit of irony didn't come across in my statement about a "sweet FA".
Eric Cox

Post by Eric Cox »

Last year I tried to make an ice cycle 80 feet tall. It worked but I only used one static rope and before the column became fully self supporting, the rope broke. Last night I put a rig together that I think will work. With a static rope, a climbing rope doubled, and 2 steel cables, I should have some luck. It's in a waterfall that runs pretty good and the canyon it drains into stays in the shade for a good part of the day. I won't have a chance to set it up for a few days but as soon as I do, I'll post something. Maybe we can swing an axe or two down here this winter!
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

Ice Cycle?