Military Wall - Closed Routes

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
dustonian

Re: Military Wall - Closed Routes

Post by dustonian »

Hey Ray (or Bill)--I know they're listed closed in the guidebook, but are you sure Jac Mac and Rad Boy Go are closed? They seem well to the right of the closure fence to me.

Beene Material is a bitchin line....
SCIN

Post by SCIN »

dustonian wrote:Hey Ray (or Bill)--I know they're listed closed in the guidebook, but are you sure Jac Mac and Rad Boy Go are closed? They seem well to the right of the closure fence to me.

Beene Material is a bitchin line....
I don't have the hard copy in front of me but the pdf for the 2nd and 3rd editions has Government Cheese as being open. Jac Mac and Rad Boy Go are definitely closed.
Yo Ray jack dynomite! Listen to my beat box! Bew ch ch pff BEW ch ch pfff! Sweet!

-Horatio
captain static

Post by captain static »

bcombs wrote:So really only Right Turret and Subatomic are the two that are closed on this section?
Right Turret & Subatomic Fingerlock are the closed routes in this area. It has been a while since I've been up there. Just because a fence has "appeared to move" doesn't mean it's open. This was known by climbers to be an arch site even before the fence went up.
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
bcombs

Post by bcombs »

captain static wrote:
bcombs wrote:So really only Right Turret and Subatomic are the two that are closed on this section?
Right Turret & Subatomic Fingerlock are the closed routes in this area. It has been a while since I've been up there. Just because a fence has "appeared to move" doesn't mean it's open. This was known by climbers to be an arch site even before the fence went up.
Perfect. Thanks, Capt. I wanted to check first before trying Right Turret.
the lurkist

Post by the lurkist »

Arch site? A stone fort made by campers? There is no one in archeology that thinks that thing has any cultural significance. How long is this farce going to go on? A

Could some one refresh our memories as to why these areas are closed?
"It really is all good ! My thinking only occasionally calls it differently..."
Normie
KD

Post by KD »

I thought I saw it in the online guidebook and in the last edition of the paper one
KD

Post by KD »

K I just looked again and saw it open - my bad
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

I have to agree with Lurk on this one..I am old enough to remember all this stuff open, and the supposed hardening for a dig, then talk of a concrete pad, then closure, then hopefully climbers will forget about it, now acceptance that it is closed.

It is getting a bit old to have all these areas closed, and everyone preaching "patience", and then saying stuff is happening behind the scenes, then years and years go by and the same tired line is thrown out to keep the climbers from frothing at the mouth.

To me, an honest answer of 'X,Y, and Z will probably never be open for climbing again" is the proper answer for much of these issues. Then go a strip the routes and never print them in a guide again.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
charlie

Post by charlie »

pigsteak wrote:.....

It is getting a bit old to have all these areas closed, and everyone preaching "patience", and then saying stuff is happening behind the scenes, then years and years go by and the same tired line is thrown out to keep the climbers from frothing at the mouth.

To me, an honest answer of 'X,Y, and Z will probably never be open for climbing again" is the proper answer for much of these issues. Then go a strip the routes and never print them in a guide again.
The answer is....."start going to meetings and help the very few people that are involved lobby the USFS to get them open."

Bureaucracy is not the most efficient of mechanisms and you've heard that thing about squeaky wheels, right?

Otherwise.....fuck off with your complaints about it not happening fast enough for you.
toad857

Post by toad857 »

charlie wrote:The answer is....."start going to meetings and help the very few people that are involved lobby the USFS to get them open."

Bureaucracy is not the most efficient of mechanisms and you've heard that thing about squeaky wheels, right?

Otherwise.....fuck off with your complaints about it not happening fast enough for you.

+1

Seriously...

step 1) take a trip to HUECO
step 2) realize how god damn LUCKY we are at the red
step 3) climb one of the other few thousand routes at your disposal