Jumars on dynamic rope

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
DHB

Jumars on dynamic rope

Post by DHB »

So I may need to do some jumaring up a fixed line, and I really don't want to go buy a static rope, so I'm wondering if the teeth on the jumar will damage my dynamic rope in any way. Of course, I'd still like to use my dynamic rope for climbing, but if using the jumars makes it unsafe then i'll have to find another method. I'll be using the single jumar/ grigri method and will probably only make a couple trips up and down the rope.
Clevis Hitch

Re: Jumars on dynamic rope

Post by Clevis Hitch »

no damage
If you give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
rjackson

Post by rjackson »

I've been using my old dynamic ropes for the same purposes and have seen no damage. I have even gone ahead and TR'd as well as lead on the same ropes. And fallen. But like any piece of equipment, inspect it often and don't use it if you suspect or detect anything out of the ordinary.
Pick myself up, stop lookin' back.
Grand Funk Railroad
absolutsugarsmurf

Post by absolutsugarsmurf »

Aid climbers jug dynamic lead lines on every pitch of a route. The only thing you really need to watch is dynamic lines will abrade faster (as compared with static) when repeatedly moved up and down over a lip/edge/whatever. Therefore you need to be more careful about padding edges over which your rope may run when jugging. Also, it is slightly harder to jug a dynamic line because you lose more of your momentum to the "bounce" of the line.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

no damage, I jug on dynamic all the time.
Living the dream
john e aragon

Post by john e aragon »

The only thing I have noticed is that a dynamic line looses some of it's stretch if you jug it ALOT.
because i can
JR

Post by JR »

Aren't the "teeth" on a Jumar about the same as a Gri-Gri?
DHB

Post by DHB »

well, it's the same action where a metal cam pinches the rope, but the jumars have small teeth on the cam that bite into the rope's sheath to prevent slipping