Bear Medicine-Ruger LCR

Selling some gear? Find or lose something?
Clevis Hitch

Bear Medicine-Ruger LCR

Post by Clevis Hitch »

I have a Ruger LCR 38 special+p for sale. I have a high hip holster for it. The whole package loaded and in the holster doesn't weight 30 ounces. This is a very light gun. It is Idea for backpacking and camping and home/self defense. The hammerless design allows it to be fired from inside a coat pocket or allows it to be drawn from regular jeans pocket with out hanging up on the fabric. Its new and in the box having never been fired.

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/index.html

$480 with holster and box of shells
If you give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
Redpoint's Bear

Post by Redpoint's Bear »

Grrr I might be interested in that. There's been a lot of bad things going on in my neighbearhood lately grrrr. Does it come with any berries?
Grrrrr
Crankmas

Post by Crankmas »

+P really helps the somewhat long in the tooth 38 special round
toad857

Post by toad857 »

do you have it in baby blue?
heacocis

Post by heacocis »

To even think that a .38 special, +P or not, would be sufficient to defend against a bear attack is nonsense. This round does not have enough velocity to penetrate to any effective depth after passing through fur; the velocity is further reduced by the snub barrel of the LCP. In fact, the 'hottest' .38sp rounds barely meet the FBI minimum penetration standards after passing through a single layer of denim. For comparison, there is some debate whether a .45 auto +P is sufficient for bear, but nearly everyone in the outdoor/hunting world seems to agree that the minimum caliber is .357 magnum. The difference between a .38sp and .357mag is tremendous.
Now, the Ruger LCR is a terrific gun, I own one myself. With practice and careful shots it is probably enough to use for (human) self defense. But it should absolutely not be thought of as appropriate for use against bears.
And, in my opinion, unless the holster is a very nice one, $480 is a high price. A careful shopper can find them new in gun stores for barely over $400; "shells" are at most $20 for 50 (or no more than $25 for 20 self-defense rounds).
Wave Bolt- the best climbing bolt available! www.wavebolt.com

"...I'm over all that macho stuff, and if I bolt a route, it will be done properly." - Colin Goodey
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Better aim for the mouth and eyes.
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
gripster

Post by gripster »

jeeze i think you are taking this threads name a little too seriously. i am sure he was wanting to sale the gun before the bear attack and is now just using that as a marketing joke. a .38 special is a little too weak for bear hunting, but it will work great for hunting people!
toad857

Post by toad857 »

after passing through fur? fur? really? i can't imagine that an inch or two of fur would slow a bullet significantly.

and can't that gun shoot .357 rounds, anyway? what would hollow point .357 rounds do to a bear compared to .38 special?
kato

Post by kato »

heacocis wrote:minimum caliber
I think "caliber" is not really the word he wanted... minimum round, maybe?
No chalkbag since 1995.
ReachHigh

Post by ReachHigh »

toad857 wrote: and can't that gun shoot .357 rounds, anyway? what would hollow point .357 rounds do to a bear compared to .38 special?
its the reverse, .357 can shoot the shorter .38 rounds.
"there's a line between self improvement and self involvement"
"Dogs are nature's pooper scoopers ."