ramblings in the dark

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
krampus

Post by krampus »

OZ wrote:I did.

Bears are opportunists. Bears become habituated to people and their food products.
don't feed the bear
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared
OZ

Post by OZ »

I ain't giving up my food to no critter. Tell that to the peoples that leave their tuna snacks laying around while they go scope out that new, cool route.
jordancolburn

Post by jordancolburn »

If it becomes an issue, awareness is key. Just give people a heads up on what to do to stay safe(a lot of it should be common sense.....but that's not always so common anymore) and also what to look out for as far as people poaching. If people will find out about it anyway, it's always good to have more people keeping an eye out for suspicious behavior. Awareness should help keep people safe and hopefully the bear safe too.
Crankmas

Post by Crankmas »

is the steak dinner for a photo promo still on?? sorry to hear about the original...sigh :(
ynp1

Post by ynp1 »

this is cool. I always wanted to see a black bear in KY. I have seen A LOT in Yosemite, but those you can hardly call bears... they are just shadows of what bears use to be.

I dont think you have to worry about bears getting use to humans in miur valley. Yosemite valley created the problem by feeding the bears in the meadows and setting up areas for people to watch them, and then after that they found out it was bad to feed them. now they are dealing with the problem they created.

I dont think rick has any plans to start a bear feeding show does he???
I don't have haters, I have fans in denial.
redpoiint

Re: I saw a black Bear in Muir Valley

Post by redpoiint »

jordancolburn wrote:
Redpoint wrote:June 5th:
I never saw them there the day before and I even flashed that 10B that day(It figures I didn't get to onsight but flashed Beta Spewer... no actually I bouldered the first 12 feet a couple times waiting for my partner to get done cleaning before I actually lead it). But then I got a really late start that day, they were probably there earlier in the day.
Nice worked in spray....a thing of beauty :D
this is the kinda comment that damages relations with the locals.
Well, apparently it's a legitimate concern, as they've already had a bear killed once. It's not really a comment against all locals, just the ones ignorant enough to try to kill a bear on someone elses property.
If I was spraying it would be called "After flashing with my impressive style and technique - I saw a black Bear in Muir Valley" so its not "spray" you're spray not me. haha you're spray now and I'm not haha
Redpoint

Post by Redpoint »

I don't want my topic to have any thing to do with black bears being killed, would an admin please delete this topic?
"It is difficult to estimate the potential damage of solvents; therefore the middle of the rope should never be marked with a felt-tip pen or similar. Although a danger might be improbable, it should never be ignored." Mammut
cliftongifford

Post by cliftongifford »

If I were to personally see someone shoot a black bear, I'd immediately disarm them and shoot them back. Black bears are generally non-agressive animals and have no interest in hurting humans or dogs... Of course, there's the occasional black bear attack, but it's usually just protecting itself/space, or it's young. I'd be more afraid of the the ticks in Muir than the bears. If we were discussing grizzly or polar bears there might be some cause for concern.
Toad

Post by Toad »

cliftongifford wrote:If I were to personally see someone shoot a black bear, I'd immediately disarm them and shoot them back.
wow.
Victory Whip in da House. Yeah.
KD

Post by KD »

cliftongifford wrote:If I were to personally see someone shoot a black bear, I'd immediately disarm them and shoot them back....
ok - now there's a couple of things I'm not getting:

1. is the gun person gonna just stand there and let you do this?
2. will they fight back or maybe shoot their gun first?
3. what if you did this in the other order? shoot - disarm
4. what if it's a bear shooting other bears? like a war bear or something?
5. What if it's a race thing: polar vs black bear?