Dan, thanks for returning the key to my Rover!

Having problems with the board or the online guidebook?
Suggestions welcome.
ch'REAL

Dan, thanks for returning the key to my Rover!

Post by ch'REAL »

On Monday May 31 an incredibly nice guy named Dan, who happened to be hiking thru the Southern Region, found the key to my truck on the road and picked it up. Smart guy that he is, he identified which car it belonged to in the parking lot and was nice enough to hike into Drive-By, quizzing groups of climbers about the color and shape of the key to ensure it got back to its rightful owner. I would've been screwed without Dan's help. As he handed me the key, I was so stunned and amazed (and embarrassed) that I spaced offering Dan a much deserved reward. If you're reading this, Dan, please write me back. Next time we're both at the Red, Miguel's is on me.
1 wheel drive

Post by 1 wheel drive »

That's really cool! It's good to hear that there are people who will not only pick up lost stuff, but come and try to find the owner as well.

By the way, what is the standard protocol for returning things to their owners? Should they be dropped off at Miguels?
"You know they call them Killer Whales" - Neko Case
ch'REAL

Post by ch'REAL »

Right??!?! Dan's actions are a refreshing departure from the car-thieving episodes that plagued the area in the recent past.

You raise a good question regarding items left at crags, 1 Wheel Drive. Assuming the owners of forgotten nalgenes, gear, clothing, etc., will come back for their items may seem like the best course of action, but it doesn't jive with the code of Leave-No-Trace. So yes, Miguel's (if you're heading that way) is probably the best place to take stuff, posting a descriptive note about the gear on the bulletin board...?
Foster

Post by Foster »

Hey buddy, this is Dan. Thanks for the re-thanking, I'm just glad I was able to stumble upon that key and find you guys. I've only been coming to Miguels the past 2 years, but what I really love, love, love about the climbing community is the sense of right & wrong when it comes to lost property. I was part of a larger group and it seemed like people around us were losing stuff left & right. The day before, with the help of another group, we ended up returning a set of QD's to two kids from Wisconsin that had left them hanging in a tree at Tectonic. Needless to say, they were totally stoked when we found them at Miguels (they hadn't even realized they were missing). Max & Zeke, you owe me too!!
ch'REAL

Post by ch'REAL »

DAN!!!!! I FOUND YOU!!!!

Finding you seems almost as remarkable as you finding my key...as well as finding other people's quick draws.

You, sir, have the most honorable attitude re returning missing property and I believe it is to be rewarded. Although I won't be at the Red again until Fall, I'll be sending you a message when I do, and at that time I'll make a point of coordinating a nice dinner for you, if you are so inclined. Many many many thanks :) and may manifold positive karma come back to you.
Foster

Post by Foster »

It's just climbers helping climbers, the way it should be :D But if the positive karma helps me send, I'll take it!!

I'll be at the Red several weekends this fall, and I'm not too proud to refuse a free slice and/or an Ale 8 :lol: :lol:
ch'REAL

Post by ch'REAL »

Absolutely an Ale-8 too! Talk to you soon.
Sam13

Post by Sam13 »

A nice guy Dan was...
ITs good to be here that still there are people who take their time to be honest...
Those people like Dan deserves to have an award,... :P